Ran into a small problem with fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rankrefugee88

Reaction score
I'm on my second batch of home brew (brown ale). My first batch (pale ale) actually came out very good. I used the fermenting bucket for primary fermentation and the carboy for secondary.

I was just downstairs checking up on the bubbles from the airlock and noticed that the airlock looked a little loose. I don't know if the pressure made the airlock loose or what. Regardless, I tried pushing it in a little and the rubber ring that held the airlock in place dropped into the beer. I didn't see it on the top so I think it sank. I didn't want to give the beer much time exposed to air so I taped up the airlock with electrical tape and stuck it back in the hole. It seems very tight, which is not what I'm worried about.

I'm worried about small rubber piece now floating in my beer affecting the fermentation or overall taste.

Do I have anything to worry about? Should I just switch to the carboy at this point? I don't know if I'm overreacting or what, I just don't want this small hiccup to ruin this whole batch.

Thanks in advance guys.

You're officially a homebrewr now. You wouldn't believe the number of first time posts begin "I pushed my grommet in the bucket" including a moderator on this very forum.\

Your beer will turn out just like theirs did.....

Perfectly fine. ;)

Read the stories here, What are some of the mistakes you made...where your beer still turned out great?

We've sunk body parts in our fermenters with no issues.

Just leave it alone.

Funny. I've brewed about 12 batches in my short career, and i think i've lost the grommet at least 3 times. The 1st time i admit i actually considered sanitizing my arm and fishing for it. Revvy is right, beer will be fine. Or at least it won't be bad because of the lost grommet.

Thanks for the posts guys. And I appreciate the link Revvy, some interesting stories in that thread.

I'll let you know how it turns out.

Back