Raising the alcohol level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garym58

Reaction score
The brew kits I like to use all seem to have a low alcohol level, 4-5% and I was thinking of trying to raise that level. I went to the FAQ section and see that there is quite a diverse opinion on this. I saw where adding malt extract would help. Would I add liquid or dried extract and would this drastically change the taste? I was thinking of doing a red beer next.

Thanks for any advice

Assuming you are an extract brewer, yes, just add more extract. The more sugar in the wort, the more alcohol (within reason, you have to pay attention to the yeast's ability to survive in alcohol). Dry or liquid will work, you could even add corn sugar to boost. Higher alcohol beers take some more care though, just keep it under 6.5% and you'll be fine.

Be aware that when you add more sugars, you are changing the balance of your beer; you can end up with a sweeter or dryer outcome, and you may want to look at also increasing your hops to balance things out.

You may want to check out beersmith or a similar tool to help keep things in order.

Or you may want to just give it a whirl and see what happens. :)

There are also some companies that do mailorder and sell really good extract kits with higher ABV's, and more choices of styles.

morebeer
northern brewer
Austin Homebrew

There are also some companies that do mailorder and sell really good extract kits with higher ABV's, and more choices of styles.

morebeer
northern brewer
Austin Homebrew

Probably safest to go this route at first.

If you make a kit beer that is 4-5% alcohol, that's because the flavor of the beer is in balance at 4-5% alcohol. If you add TOO much alcohol to one of those beers, you will get an alcohol-y taste to the beer that overpowers the maltiness and bitterness.

If you like beer with more alcohol, pick a style that has more alcohol...these styles balance the extra alcohol to make an easy-drinking beer with higher alcohol content.

Frankly, I don't know the percentage of alcohol in any of my beers, never really cared about it. I concentrate on the profile for the style I'm brewing...it's all about the proper balance.

Frankly, I don't know the percentage of alcohol in any of my beers, never really cared about it. I concentrate on the profile for the style I'm brewing...it's all about the proper balance.

NAH, it's about getting your friends hammered off of 1 of your beers vs 6 bud lights they normally drink!

The brew kits I like to use all seem to have a low alcohol level, 4-5% and I was thinking of trying to raise that level. I went to the FAQ section and see that there is quite a diverse opinion on this. I saw where adding malt extract would help. Would I add liquid or dried extract and would this drastically change the taste? I was thinking of doing a red beer next.

Thanks for any advice

Either throw in more fermentables or make the kit as normal but top it off with less water.

Thanks for advice. I may try adding some extract just for fun but will look into those kits on line. I use brewers best now but I really don't like the ones with higher ABV. Enjoyed the barbs also...

Thanks again

Pour a glass about 3/4 full then drop of shot glass full of whatever alcohol you have handy into it.

4 to 5% is a good point, it's a session beer that will take more than a few to impair. Most of my beers I target at that point on the ones that come in around 7.5% or higher, it's a sipping beer with no more than one ot two to be served at a session. It's important to be a responsible host.

Back