Raising ABV (...and IBU)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bender_Braus_Brewing

Reaction score
So I have a recipe I'm looking to brew, but I want to bump up the ABV (and coincidentally the IBU on it as well), but I want to keep it at a 5Gallon batch.

Any suggestions on what to do to the recipe to modify it to increase the ABV/IBU? (I figure IBU is easy, just add more bittering hops, thats not really hard; so its primarily just upping the ABV I need help on.)

Thanks!

If it's extract, add more malt extract. If it's grain, add more base malt. Alternatively you could make it a thinner, higher abv beer by adding various adjuncts depending on your preference. Flaked rice or corn in a mash has that effect for all grain brews. Honey, rice syrup, table sugar, and corn sugar all work for extract brews.

You can tray to add a few lbs of light DME and then increase to boil time to 90min to get more hop utilization. I did that with a porter and it worked really well. The DME will add some body while regular sugar will thin the beer out.

If it's extract, add more malt extract. If it's grain, add more base malt. Alternatively you could make it a thinner, higher abv beer by adding various adjuncts depending on your preference. Flaked rice or corn in a mash has that effect for all grain brews. Honey, rice syrup, table sugar, and corn sugar all work for extract brews.

This

Back