Raisin Stout... HELP!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewbro29

Reaction score
Hey guys, tomorrow is brew day and I needed some help with the recipe. I'm planning to brew a raisin stout and wanted to get some opinions on it thus far:

15 lb. 2-Row Pale Malt (75%)
1.5 lb. Belgian Special B (7.5%)
1.5 lb. Chocolate Malt (7.5%)
2 lb. Black Malt (10%)

1 oz. Millenium @ 60 min.
1 oz. Millenium @ 40 min.
1 oz. Chinook @ 1 min.

Danstar Nottingham Ale Yeast

Yield: 5 Gal.
OG: 1.108
11.1%ABV

Do you think the roasted malts take up too much of the grainbill? I don't want it to be too astringent but still have a little coffee/licorice flavor. Let me know! Thanks!

How about some rolled/flaked oats in place of the black malt? They should complement the Special B and I would think the SRM is very dark without 2 lbs of black! Also don't want to step all over the Special B. Also maybe reduce chocolate and add a medium crystal?

How about some rolled/flaked oats in place of the black malt? They should complement the Special B and I would think the SRM is very dark without 2 lbs of black! Also don't want to step all over the Special B. Also maybe reduce chocolate and add a medium crystal?

Thanks! I would need to head over to my LHBS early tomorrow but in the meantime I was wondering if I should reduce any of the dark malts or the special B. I think the Special B will be plenty sweet I'm just hoping it's not to charcoal-y.

Also I should mention I wanted it to be similar to Barleywine but with a chocolate backbone.

Back