rahr and Sons Pecker Wrecker

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsprague

Reaction score
Is anyone familiar with this imperial pilsner? It was a favorite of mine when I lived in Ft. Worth Texas and would attend Saturday tastings at the brewery downtown. I would love to try to clone it if anyone has any information on this beer. I'm not finding much from google.

Cant say I've ever heard of it much less seen a clone recipe.

They've changed a lot, if not most, of their lineup over the past few years and their website makes no mention of that one or any pilsner for that matter.

https://rahrbrewing.com/beers/
But they do have a taproom so who knows what might show up there. Now I might have to make a trip to see! :bigmug:

Yes you should, they used to have free tastings in the brewery from 11-3pm on Saturdays. Pecker Wrecker was a seasonal that they would bring back every few years. i think they are voting on their facebook page about bringing it back again. Unfortunately, I'm now in the midwest where it is not distributed.

You might try reaching out to them with the “contact” option on their website. Explain that you have moved and don’t have access to their beer anymore but you’re a homebrewer and see if they’d be so kind to help you make a small batch. Sometimes certain breweries are willing to help… worst they could say is no.

thanks for the advice. I sent them a message today. if they give me a recipe, I'll post it.

They emailed back with the following guidance for their Pecker Wrecker recipe.

Malts

• Pils - 71%
  • Rye - 19%
  • Carahell - 3%
  • Acidulated - 3%
  • Munich I - 2%
  • Cararye - 2%
Hops

• 60min - 66 IBUs of bittering hops
  • 15min - 2 IBUs of Saaz
  • Whirlpool - 1 IBU of Saaz

I plan to make this one of my next brews. I'll post my 5.5gal recipe when I do.

Other than yeast strain, you can’t do much better than that. I would just use 34/70 at about 54-55° for a couple weeks and see what you end up with.

Yes, I have a 34/70 yeast cake that should be available once I transfer the beer to a keg. This will only be my 2nd lager, but my basement brew area is staying in the mid 50's, so it is convenient this time of year.

Do you know what ABV you’re shooting for? I just noticed your first post says imperial Pilsner. Their website doesn’t list that beer. 34/70 should be ok up to 11%.

Here is the scaled version that I am looking to brew. I will use lactic acid instead of acid malt, so I added the 3% acid malt to the pilsner grain %. Let me know if you have other suggestions.

1643832269202.png

I have supplies to brew this on Saturday. I guess I need to decide if it should be 7% or 8%.

Brewing this now. I scaled up the recipe to 8%. used a biab pilsner step mash. overshot pre boil gravity by .003 at 1.058.

Attachments

• 20220217_190129.jpg
    20220217_190129.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 7
I used RO water and additions for a pilsen profile. beersmith and brewers friend both had a lactic acid addition of about 13ml to bring ph down to 5.2. One strange thing is that the PH strips i bought a few weeks ago have yet to indicate 5 or above even on straight RO water. i questioned whether to add the acid because the strips showed low during the mash. i did anyway and just assumed they are bad.

I used RO water and additions for a pilsen profile. beersmith and brewers friend both had a lactic acid addition of about 13ml to bring ph down to 5.2. One strange thing is that the PH strips i bought a few weeks ago have yet to indicate 5 or above even on straight RO water. i questioned whether to add the acid because the strips showed low during the mash. i did anyway and just assumed they are bad.
How big of a batch are you making? I'm in Charlotte, NC where the water is pretty neutral. From what I've seen on EZ Water, 2ml of lactic acid is enough to get the proper PH on a 5 gallon batch. 13ml sounds pretty high.

5.65 gal batch. I used Reverse Osmosis water, which is listed at a ph of 7. After adding my grist it has me adding the 13ml of lactic acid. both beersmith and brewers friend gave similar numbers.

I entered your grain bill and water quantities posted above into Bru’n Water with a pseudo bopils profile using 100% RO and it’s only recommending 1.3 mL of 88% lactic for that recipe. Did you miss a decimal point?

I hope not. I used RO water and added salts to bring it to the very soft pilsen profile from beersmith. I thought it seemed like a lot, so I only added 10ml.
1645152127054.png

The other strange thing that happened was that I got a second boil up like a hot break right at 60 min before I turned the heater off. Maybe the Rye?

fermenting like crazy. The wort was very cloudy after chilling and transferring. I'm guessing its the rye.

Attachments

• 20220219_110827.jpg
    20220219_110827.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
I started at 55f and its risen to about 60 now with active fermentation.

Looks like it's back....How did your clone turn out?View attachment 768457
i was disappointed at the first try. i think it didn't fully attenuate and stopped at 1.015. it had a little more residual sweetness than i would like and not nearly the hop bitterness i would expect. I reused the yeast cake from a pilsner that i had just transferred. ill try a couple new packs of yeast if i attempt this again.

Might grab some cans if i make it to Dallas this weekend to try it and if i like I'll attempt to brew it as well maybe with kveik lutra, that yeast seems to have a high attenuation level and you can play with the temp range to keep it clean or have some subtle fruit character 🤙

Interesting discussion and beer here. 19% Rye in a big pale lagerbier. Wow. I made a red rye lager a few years back with about 7% rye in essentially a marzen grain bill with bock yeast. 1.060 OG beer that finished at 1.010. Really liked it. Just enough rye to give it a pumpernickel/graham cracker note with the other grains.

Wondering how rye would taste in a more pale, crisp, high OG lager.

Interesting discussion and beer here. 19% Rye in a big pale lagerbier. Wow. I made a red rye lager a few years back with about 7% rye in essentially a marzen grain bill with bock yeast. 1.060 OG beer that finished at 1.010. Really liked it. Just enough rye to give it a pumpernickel/graham cracker note with the other grains.

Wondering how rye would taste in a more pale, crisp, high OG lager.
Did you use rye malt or flaked rye? Yea am also curious about that amount of rye in this style, hoping i can grab some cans so i have a better idea of it's intended flavor profile. It almost seems like a cross between a lager and a rye IPA which to seems sounds good

Back