Rahm Emanupale APA, Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chaserlm

Reaction score
This will be my third batch and I was looking for some feedback and perhaps some guidance.

Rahm Emanupale

Grains
----------
5 Lbs Pale LME
3 Lbs 2 Row
1 Lbs Crystal 40L
1 Lbs Carapils

Hops
----------
.50 oz Chinook (60min)
.50 oz Chinook (20min)
.50 oz Cascade (15min)
.50 oz Cascade (10min)
.50 oz Cascade (5min)
.50 oz Chinook (0min)

.50 oz Cascade Dry (5days)
.50 oz Chinook Dry (3days)

Yeast
-----------
Bell's Pale Ale yeast from 4 bottles in a 5 day starter

My plan is to do a single infusion of the grains at 154* for an hour and step up to 168* for mash out. I have only a 5 gallon kettle and stove top at my disposal so I plan to get just under 4 gallons for the boil. I was thinking of adding 2.5 Lbs of the LME at the beginning of the boil and the remaining 2.5 Lbs at the 20 minute mark. Will adding half at the beginning help with Hop utilization? Should I add it all in at 60 minutes? Add it all in at 20? Any help regarding the whole recipe would very much be appreciated.

Looks OK to me. You won't milk that much more out of your hops by leaving out the DME until later in the boil. Just toss it in as you would normally. Why not skip the mash and replace the 2-row with LME and steep the caramel malts? Just curious why you're wanting to bother with a mash.

Really I want to move up to all grain but I currenty live in a small apartment in Chicago and don't really have space for a mash tun and chiller and larger kettle and I'm also moving to California in a couple months and don't need more stuff to move with me. I just want to get more involvement with the process and some practice I suppose is why I'm going for the mash.

Go for the partial mash man. There are some other threads on here discussing when to add extract w/ regards to hop utilization. I always add all of the extract first and then the hops and never have any serious issues, although it all depends on what specifically you going for.

Since I am going to hop burst this beer i guess adding LME at the start of the boil really isn't necessary? In beer smith the Srm comes in at 11 and I really dont want to risk going any higher than that boiling the LME too long. Just doing a late extract addition with the 20 min addition of Chinook at 12% AA should add some bittering correct?

with a # of crystal and carapils you may want to mash at a lower temp

i like my APA/IPA really dry though so ymmv

Well I went ahead and mashed at what beer smith said would come to 158 it turned out to be 154 but I just went with it and mashed there for an hour and boiled for and hour with about 2 lbs LME at the beginning of the boil. All seems well for now but we shall see how she turns out. Also it's a tidge darker than I had thought it would be, could be the hour boil of the LME? BTW I used 6 Lbs total LME instead of 5.

Latest posts

Back