Racking

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stormynd

Reaction score
I have a batch of hard lemonade in a crock with a towel on it. It started fermenting overnight and is going like crazy, you can hear the bubbling when you get near the crock. My question is, when do I rack it into a jug with an airlock? So me things I have read say 24 hours and others say 6-7 days. Judging from what I have read it seems I got really lucky having the fermentation take off so fast and I don't want to do anything to mess it up.

It's OK to do the full primary fermentation in the crock with a towel on top?

I suggest using a sanitized piece of tin foil instead of a towel.

^+1 Gravity readings will tell you when to rack/bottle when readings remain stable for 3 consecutive days. Im not sure why you decided to ferment in a pot with a towel over it instead of using a "jug with an airlock"?

I used the crock with a towel because that is what was suggested due to the fact that the lemonade is a hard ferment to start and extra oxygen is helpful

Oh and I am small batching so I have two 1 gallon jugs with air locks ready not carboys lest you think I am a complete idiot

Latest posts

Back