racking today

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vinper

Reaction score
5 gallon white peach ,question when I transfere to new container and I am short of filling up the new container ,what do you add to make up the space , more juice? distilled water?or leave it short

You can either add more juice, a neutral wine, or water I would suggest spring. Don't leave any space as this can allow for oxidation

What many people do is make a little extra in the batch and save it in a bottle with an air lock for topping off

You could also rack it into a smaller carboy

I racked and added some more juice, I tasted it and it does not have much grape/peach flavor ,more like just water and alcohol . I really could not tell the difference between the apple juice and the grape /peach juice both taste the same to me . Made 5 gallon each ,So I hope the aging process bring more flavor back . I think this weekend going to start 5 gallons beer want a quicker turn around

stuff been fermenting a month garage temp is rising , do I need to move it ? or since its pretty much slowed down will the temps hurt during the next 2 months

So what do you normally top off with? Do you make extra and keep that leftover stuff in a separate jar and top off with that, or just add water?

So what do you normally top off with? Do you make extra and keep that leftover stuff in a separate jar and top off with that, or just add water?

I usually make extra when I mix up the must, and keep it in a wine bottle or growler (I have stoppers that fit those smaller bottles) with an airlock. I use that for topping up unless the recipe specifically asks you to top up with water or honey or juice.

And you dont have to worry about the second container needing to be topped off? Do you just put it in that container indefinately until the wine is done?

And you dont have to worry about the second container needing to be topped off? Do you just put it in that container indefinately until the wine is done?

You do have to top off, every single time you rack. You rack whenever there are lees present after about 60 days, so some wines may take several rackings while others will only need to be racked a couple of times. Once the wine is clear and stops dropping lees, it won't need to be racked any more and can be bulk aged indefinitely.

What about topping off with co2 from my kegerator? Just give it a blast and then move the carboy into the other room.

I added 2-3 cups of filtered water to top up our 5 gal and 1 gallon carboys. Wine is now sitting in tertiary and will hopefully be ready to bottle in 2 months.

Next time maybe I will just buy a bottle of wine that matches the type made and top off with that. I'm not liking how I just diluted our first batch.

Back