Racking to bottling bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DarrellQ

Reaction score
My fermenter bucket has a spigot in the bottom and I usually just attach sanitized tubing, open spigot, and gently gravity feed into bottling bucket. This batch that I have in fermentor now has trub and yeast that seems to be up to and ~ 1/4" past the spigot outlet. Will it hurt if this goes into the bottling bucket? Or, should I use an auto-siphon racking cane? Thank you for your responses.

If it gets into your bottling bucket, it's likely to get into your bottles, too. If you are offended by that, you can avoid the trub by either siphoning as you mention, or running off wort/trub from the spigot into a dump vessel until it runs clear. Then run it off into the bottling bucket. The latter approach takes a bit of finesse, and will waste a small amount of beer in the interest of having the end product be cleaner.

Now, here's an approach you might try: Find a small container like Tupperware or even a coffee mug. Hold it at the bottom of your bottling bucket with one hand. Position the hose outlet in the container and hold it with your other hand. Run off the beer from the fermenter into the container until it is clear, which should take only a few seconds, then quickly lift the hose out and place it at the bottom of the bottling bucket. Lift out and dump the container. Run off the rest of the clear beer.

If it gets into your bottling bucket, it's likely to get into your bottles, too. If you are offended by that, you can avoid the trub by either siphoning as you mention, or running off wort/trub from the spigot into a dump vessel until it runs clear. Then run it off into the bottling bucket. The latter approach takes a bit of finesse, and will waste a small amount of beer in the interest of having the end product be cleaner.

Now, here's an approach you might try: Find a small container like Tupperware or even a coffee mug. Hold it at the bottom of your bottling bucket with one hand. Position the hose outlet in the container and hold it with your other hand. Run off the beer from the fermenter into the container until it is clear, which should take only a few seconds, then quickly lift the hose out and place it at the bottom of the bottling bucket. Lift out and dump the container. Run off the rest of the clear beer.
Thank you, appreciate your input. It doesn't offend me at all as long as it doesn't affect flavour. Will it?

Suspended yeast will affect flavor (negatively). So it depends how much ends up in the bottle, or more importantly, how much ends up in your glass if you don't pour carefully. There's always some in the bottle from re-fermentation, of course. It's always better to avoid getting additional sediment into the bottles, so do the best you can.

If you don't get the trub stirred up too much in the bottling bucket letting it sit for half an hour in the bucket before bottling will let most of it settle out again. I put my autosiphon clear to the bottom of the fermenter and get trub sucked up with that, yet little of it gets into the bottles (except for that last half bottle where I tilt the bucket trying to get that last little bit of my precious beer).

Latest posts

Back