Racking to bottling bucket filter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Twofox

Reaction score
Question about racking to bottliing bucket. I'm using isenglass/gelatin to fine the beer, and when I rack to the bottler I want to make sure I don't bring all the crap int he bottom with it.

I've heard of using panty hose over the siphon, got one ready to go... But which end does it go on? lol

Makes sense to me to put it in the secondary since the inlet will put less pressure on the filter. Also read somewhere that you leave a "foot" or loose end on it to help prevent clogging.

TIA!

Best way to not bring all the crap in is to siphon above it so you don't suck it up in the first place!

But if you're wanting to put something on your racking cane to stop it (people do it sometimes when dry hopping and they have hop stuff floating all through their beer) then you want it on the inlet side. A hop sock might be better then panty hose.

But really, you don't need to do that unless you have stuff floating all through it. Just keep your siphon above the yeast cake and you'll be fine.

Thanks! Yeah I'm doing some dry hopping and will be needing that :)

Loving those Amarillos!

Back