Racking to a secondary fermentor?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

northernltz

Reaction score
Alright beer Guru's,

I am in need of advice here. Here is a question I have been tossing around in my head for a week or so. Last week I brewed up a Belgian Wheat. Actually, a “Blue Moon” clone hopefully. I have only brewed beer 5 times before, so I used a kit. The kit had dry extract, (2 pouches DME), a couple of pounds of grains, (crystal 10 or 15, some oats, normal stuff), and spices (Coriander, grains of paradise, orange peel). The grain steeped for 30 min prior to the DME addition, and then I added the spices at 15 min of the 60 min boil. I added the hops at 15 minute intervals. I think the brew was basic for this beer and uneventful.

Now, I put the wort into the carboy, pitched the dry yeast, which is Dry English Ale yeast, and let it go to town. Naturally, the yeast bubbled up and fermentation took over. As I follow the directions from the kit, it calls for a transfer or racking to a secondary fermentation tank at 1 week (this is this week). This is where I was stuck. I have another carboy to rack into so that is not the problem, but I do not see the point. If I am not adding any additional fermentables or sugars, what is going to happen in a secondary tank that cannot happen in the primary tank?

I only question this because last June I brewed with another home brewer who made a terrible “sewer batch.” When he finally got to the cause of the nastiness, he was told he “oxygenated“ his wort without adding any fermentables for the yeast to act upon. I was then told to never rack a beer unless I am bottling it, adding a sugar, or adding yeast to the wort.

Clearly, I am new at this, and I want to learn correct habits. I know oxygenation of the wort is good and bad, depending on the point the wort is at. Can it ruin a beer that quickly? Am I risking the wort by racking without adding anything to it? Lastly, am I just over thinking this? Any ideas would help immensely.

Thanks again,

Kurt

Yeah dude, you are way overthinking.

To answer your question, your beer is not ruined by racking to secondary.

For future, it is absolutely unnecessary to rack to secondary unless dry hopping or adding special spices... Maybe for extended aging for a barley wine or something. Otherwise, don't go through the hassle.

secondary or not? It won't hurt if your sanitizing is good but the only time I do is to free a fermenter or dry hop

There is rarely a reason to use a secondary. I would say don't do it unless you are fermenting something for an extended period of time such as a Barley Wine or Sour.

I do think it can be detrimental to use a secondary since you are removing your wort from most of the yeast colony. The yeast at the end of fermentation need to clean by-products from fermentation such as diacetyl. They will do the clean up faster and more efficiently with the full contingent of yeast.

There is one final reason not to do a secondary, laziness. Why do something with little benefit that makes work you for you?

I have the same worries. I am soon due to transfer my NB Dead Ringer IPA to a secondary. I will be dry hopping a few days before bottling so I guess that qualifies as a reason to use a secondary. My biggest worry is that the siphon will suck up and spit out too much air. Most of the reading I have done leaves me with the impression that transferring to the secondary is inherently dangerous in that you run the risk of introducing oxygen into the beer. Is this really a common problem or a true concern? Just wondering if anybody has ruined a batch by racking to a secondary. Also can you dry hop in a primary? Is there a reason why you shouldn't ?

You guys are waaaaaaay to paranoid about using a secondary. Use it when you need to, make sure once the beer is siphoning you get your hose submerged, and it's all good. I've secondary-ed many many times and never had an issue with oxidation.

You guys are waaaaaaay to paranoid about using a secondary. Use it when you need to, make sure once the beer is siphoning you get your hose submerged, and it's all good. I've secondary-ed many many times and never had an issue with oxidation.

I agree if you have a reason then do it if not the leave it in the primary, why make more work, I too have done a secondary many times without issue

I have the same worries. I am soon due to transfer my NB Dead Ringer IPA to a secondary. I will be dry hopping a few days before bottling so I guess that qualifies as a reason to use a secondary. My biggest worry is that the siphon will suck up and spit out too much air. Most of the reading I have done leaves me with the impression that transferring to the secondary is inherently dangerous in that you run the risk of introducing oxygen into the beer. Is this really a common problem or a true concern? Just wondering if anybody has ruined a batch by racking to a secondary. Also can you dry hop in a primary? Is there a reason why you shouldn't ?

Dry hop in your primary.

Sent from my HTC One using Home Brew mobile app

Don't bother with secondary, dry hop in the primary then rack to bottling bucket. As much bubbles and air prior to pitching as you like , after pitching NO bubbles, NO air and you are ok.
And don't shake the bottle after bottling.

A lot of folks never use a secondary and brew good beer. A lot of folks always use a secondary and brew good beer. A lot of folks sometimes use a secondary and brew good beer.

The thing I've learned from my brief brewing experience is that with sanitation and patience, it's really hard to brew bad beer. BTW, I'm in the second group, I always use a secondary and with a dozen or so brews I've never had a bad one.

I haven't seen anyone say it yet, so I will. Whatever your stance is on secondaries, at least make sure you don't rack to secondary if your primary fermentation isn't done and verified by a gravity reading. Just because a recipe says rack after a week isn't a good reason to. If the beer hasn't finished attenuation, taking it off the yeast cake is a huge mistake.

I want to thank every one of the "Guru's" who added to this thread. That is exactly why I love HBT vs. the other brew sites. Everyone is always so willing to assist the new brewers without sounding arrogant. I do sincerely thank everyone for your input. For the record, I will not be racking the beer. :) There is equal reasons to rack and to not, but for my beer this time, I just don't see the need. I am very sure of my sanitation, so if I do need to in the future, I will not hesitate if it is needed. I am sure I will be asking for your input in the neer future, but until that day, I wish everyone great brewing.

Kurt

Latest posts

Back