Racking Hef

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loxnar

Reaction score
Ummm just a couple questions before I rack my first hef from the primary to a keg....seeing this is a beer that large amounts of yeast provide flavor and are to be expected do i need to let the fermenting bucket settle for a bit after i move it from where i ferment (bathtub) to where i rack (countertop) or is using the hef style yeast provide that natural suspension of yeast to remian. Also I am assuming I still wanna avoid as much of the trub as I can while racking to the keg....any other advice would be appreciated =) thanks!

If you're force carbing it then I would pick up a little bit of that yeast, if you're priming it with sugar then the yeast that's still in suspention will multiply and give you what you want for the beer. With that beer in a keg you'll probably have to rouse the yeast every week or so while you're drinking it to keep it from dropping clear.

I generally end up picking some of the trub up with my siphon anyways so I am just assuming it will be fine as long as i dont get a mess of it....i have been thinking from now on with most beers ( my last honey stout batch i picked up a lof o trub on accident and went straight into the keg) i will rack to a bottling bucket let it settle then use the spigot to rack into the keg to prevent any unwanted trub....didnt seem to effect the flavor of the beer till you got to the bottom of the glass I just dont like staring at floaties and other people get wierded out by it too.....i know it could potentially affect the flavor especially in a lighter beer

Back