Quantcast

racked today

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

tranceamerica

Reaction score
and sampled it a bit. woo - it's already good =)

recipe:

7lb amber ME
1/2 cu corn sugar
2 oz cascade boiling
1 oz cascade finishing (15 min)

windsor ale yeast

total 60 min boil

Been in the primary for 18 days and it's still going. Will leave it in secondary till next weekend & bottle =) he he he :ban:

Jamo99

Reaction score
homebrew is almost always delicious. make sure it's finished fermenting before bottling. just imagine how good it'll taste carb'd

avidhomebrewer

Reaction score
For your next batch, try steeping some specialty grains. It will add more complexity/flavor to your beer, making it better.

Ooompa Loompa

Reaction score
I'm curious, was this a kit, or a recipe you made yourself? I'm curious because the 1/2 cup of corn sugar seems kind of odd. Corn Sugar really doesn't add any flavor to the beer, but is sometimes used to up the alcohol content, but a half cup in that recipe wouldn't really up it a noticable amount. Not that there is anything inerently wrong with it, just seems kind of odd. :confused:

OP
T

tranceamerica

Reaction score
Ooompa Loompa said:
I'm curious, was this a kit, or a recipe you made yourself? I'm curious because the 1/2 cup of corn sugar seems kind of odd. Corn Sugar really doesn't add any flavor to the beer, but is sometimes used to up the alcohol content, but a half cup in that recipe wouldn't really up it a noticable amount. Not that there is anything inerently wrong with it, just seems kind of odd. :confused:
It was my own 'off the cuff' recepie. the corn sugar was just because I had it...i knew it wouldn't do much other than raise the alcohol a bit.

Moonpile

Reaction score
avidhomebrewer said:
For your next batch, try steeping some specialty grains. It will add more complexity/flavor to your beer, making it better.
I second this, and add that you should use the light extract and get the color (and body and other properties) from the specialty grains.

Junebug

Reaction score
I love when a beer is good when it's green...you know it'll be fantastic later. Congrats on a successful brew! :rockin:

Reaction score
When you say still going after 18 days is that still bubbling in the airlock or still changing on the hydrometer? I know bubbles mean nothing as far as when the beer is done but how long should you expect the bubbling to last? 2-3 days, 7-10 days? Talking about a 6-7% nut brown ale by brewers best in particular.

OP
T

tranceamerica

Reaction score
IrregularPulse said:
When you say still going after 18 days is that still bubbling in the airlock or still changing on the hydrometer? I know bubbles mean nothing as far as when the beer is done but how long should you expect the bubbling to last? 2-3 days, 7-10 days? Talking about a 6-7% nut brown ale by brewers best in particular.
well, I don't have a hydrometer...so I just use airlock activity ... I know this is lame, and the real guys will flame me...but I think it's easier to wait until the airlock stops...then wait a few more days...and bottle. it's worked for me so far, knock on wood.

so, when I said that it was 'still going after 18 days' I mean that I was still seeing bubbles in the airlock...of course, at that point, it was like 1 bubble every 5 min, so that's pretty slow. I find that the first 24-48 hours after pitching are the most active, and it slows way way down after that point...but still is fermeting for a week or two. so, if I leave it for a couple of weeks, I'm pretty sure it's done, esp. if there's no airlock activity.

Kai

Reaction score
The problem with judging by airlock activity is that you don't always know if your beer is finished or just stalled. Take this IPA I'm brewing - airlock activity had stopped for a few days, but with a good stir and a touch of corn sugar it woke back up and dropped another ten points in a day. If the agitation and the corn sugar had been in bottling, I'd have bottle bombs now.