Racked to a Secondary...Now What?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just racked my first cider into a secondary carboy (I'm only making a gallon)and I have a few questions:

1) Do I keep it at room temp or stick it in the fridge?
2) Do I put a regular screw cap on or do I still need to use my airlock?
3) If it is very tart, was it ok to put in a little more (2 tsp) of lactose non-fermentable sugar to backsweeten (this will not cause it to carb and thus bomb, right)?
4) How long do you usually let it sit in the secondary for if you just want a still cider?
5) When it is done, can I just pour straight from the carboy instead of bottling?

Thanks!

Time will allow it to clear, once fermentation is done the temperature is no longer critical to keep from producing off flavors.
Until it is fully degassed I would keep an air lock on it.
If you don't mind the taste of lactose that would work fine, splenda (not a blend) would also work.
As long as it take to clear the the flavor to mellow and meld to what you like.
Yes, but be careful of any sediment that will settle out on the bottom. Bottling usually serves to rack it off of the junk, and provide smaller batches for drinking.
Hope you enjoy the end product.

Back