Rack Twice?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robertvrabel

Reaction score
I just racked my Belgian Tripel after almost 5 weeks in the primary... figured it was time to get it off the trub and into a secondary 5gal glass carboy to store away for another 2 months.

I just did it last night... and already today there is another inch or so of trub at the bottom. Should I plan to rack this again? Is two months too long for it to sit ontop of that?

Normally when I've racked I would have bottled a couple weeks after... and figured it was no big deal. But knowing I'm going to leave this for another 2 months, that makes me wonder.

If you are VERY careful with sanitation, another rack won't HURT anything, but why risk it? Just rack a little above the trub when you transfer it to the bottling bucket..let it set in the bucket a little while before bottling. That way you may lose even more trub.

If you are VERY careful with sanitation, another rack won't HURT anything, but why risk it? Just rack a little above the trub when you transfer it to the bottling bucket..let it set in the bucket a little while before bottling. That way you may lose even more trub.

I understand my only risk is infection in racking again... but I'm more concerned if it is OK to leave it on the trub for 2 months. If it isn't, then I will rack... but if its perfectly fine to leave it on it, then I'm going to just leave it alone.

Leave it. You're fine. Your beer isn't filtered so there will always be some sediment.

Back