Quick Yeast Starter Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

kazmiekr

Reaction score
I made my yeast starter about 24 hours ago and I haven't seen a frothy layer of foam on top like when you make bread starters, but the airlock is bubbling and there is the cake on the bottom. Did I just miss the all the action? I'm assuming if the airlock is bubbling that it must be ok. I just want to make sure it's not dead.

Assuming it's ok, how long should I wait before I brew? I was planning on doing it tomorrow afternoon meaning the starter has been going for 36 hours of so. Do I just pour the entire thing into the batch?

thanks!

Kevin

Iordz

Reaction score
The starter sounds as though it's good. Brewers yeast reacts differently than baking yeast. How exactly did you make it? The reason I ask is because it sounds like you are using dry yeast. You can go ahead and brew tomorrow, then pitch the whole thing into the wort.

beerdad

Reaction score
Give it a smell. It should smell like beer. If it still smells sweet that's bad.

boo boo

Reaction score
If I leave my starters alone, I'll always get a krausen but I usually aerate a fair bit and get a lot of foam but no chance to get krausen.

As long as you have yeast forming on the bottom, don't worry about it. You are getting the results required.