Quick star-san question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Erythro73

Reaction score
Hi,
so I've been using the same star-san solution since the racking phase of my first brew. I'm now preparing myself to bottle the second one in the week-end. However, I just checked my star-san solution (made with distilled water), it's still crystal clear, no doubt about it, but I noticed some little hairs floating in it when I took a sample with a transparent glass. And one big and long hair completely a the bottom of the star-san bucket. The little hairs might come from my arm/hand, which I usually soak in the solution, directly in the bucket, to sanitize my hands, while brewing. Heck, better safe than sorry.

Is this a problem? Am I better off preparing a new star-san solution? I wouldn't want the yeast to ferment some hair while in the bottles...

It's absolutely fine. If you're concerned about the hairs, pick out the floating hair and reach down and pick out the one on the bottom. If you're really concerned and it would make you feel better, make a new batch of solution, but I don't think it's necessary.

put some starsan into a spray bottle. Use the spray to santize your hands, and anything else you dont feel like submerging in your bucket. Makes life soo much easier.

put some starsan into a spray bottle. Use the spray to santize your hands, and anything else you dont feel like submerging in your bucket. Makes life soo much easier.

+1 on that. The spray bottle is my go-to. When brewing, etc. I keep a bucket of solution around to keep items in so I can pull them out when when needed and know they're already sanitized. The spray bottle is perfect for giving a quick hit to your hands or equipment that is difficult to let sit in solution.

Back