quick question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As long as it doesn't get infected, forever.

The general rule is to cool to pitching temps as quickly as possible for a number of reasons, but I'm sure just about everyone on here has a story about how something went wrong and the wort sat there longer than they wanted. It took me under 20 minutes today; it's taken me up to 45 or so in the past.

I start rehydrating dry yeast before chilling the wort. So by the time I mix & aerate chilled wort & top off water,it's been hydrating 30 minutes or more. The take hydrometer sample,stir yeast cream,pitch & seal. So I don't let it sit any longer than necessary before pitching yeast.

I have let it sit overnight and pitched the yeast in the morning...as long as everything is sanitary you should be fine leaving it for a little while. How long were you thinking?

I've gone even longer. I once made an English Bitter where I let it sit for two whole days (corked in a glass carboy) before pitching the yeast, and that beer turned out completely normal and completely delicious.

The best advice is to pitch and contain that beer ASAP!

As long as your sanitation is impeccable and you have your wort in a sealed, sanitized vessel, then you could store it for some time. I have done this on my last couple of brew days because I wash yeast, did not have time to make a starter ahead of time, and felt like brewing anyway! I pulled 1/2 gal of boiled wort before adding my first hop additions, cooled it, and pitched my saved yeast. I chilled the batch as much as I could with my chiller (around 60°), sealed the bucket, and tossed it in my fermentation chamber and set the temps for mid 40°'s. The yeast was at high krausen about 24 hrs later. I racked to a carboy leaving behind all the hop and break material, aerated, and pitched. The batches took right off and I have not seen or tasted any problems so far. Cold temps will inhibit bugs and beasties. You could freeze wort and save it even longer. And there are a ton of no chill brewers out there that would tell you to sanitize like crazy and RDWHAAHB!!!

Thanks for all of the input. I started my batch a little late today. I thought I had plenty of time to finish brewing before my wife and I were meeting some friends for dinner. I forgot to account for cool down time. Luckily my wonderful wife was able to push back out plans an hour or so. I was able to get it down to 72 within 30 mins in an ice bath and pitch the yeast.

Back