Quick Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TOWEYWACKER

Reaction score
Last night I did my first brew. Today I'm doing another. (Yeah, I'm jumping right in, and quite obsessed). Today, I started with 6 gallons of water, but the water is evaporating REALLY slowly ( I think my home might be humid). Anyways, is it cool if I just pull my bittering hops at 60 minutes, and continue to boil until 5 gallons is reached?

Last night I did my first brew. Today I'm doing another. (Yeah, I'm jumping right in, and quite obsessed). Today, I started with 6 gallons of water, but the water is evaporating REALLY slowly ( I think my home might be humid). Anyways, is it cool if I just pull my bittering hops at 60 minutes, and continue to boil until 5 gallons is reached?

Well, you can't pull the hops oils out of the boil and that's what isomerizes. However, there isn't much more in the way of bitterness that you'll get out of a 75 minute boil vs. a 60 minute boil, so don't worry about that.

The later hops, those added at 15 minutes and/or 5 minutes DO matter. You want to add them at the proper time from the end of the boil.

I wonder, if you started with 6 gallons of water, and then added the extract, if you started with quite a bit more volume than 6 gallons. That would explain the too-high volume!

Thank you! Yeah, I planned on boiling just a little longer, taking into account more volume for additions. I WILL make sure aroma hops are added at the appropriate times. I bow to your knowledge Yooper. lol

Back