Quick question on yeast starters

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theheadonthedoor

Reaction score
I am familiar with the process the yeast starters, but I've run into a possible problem. I am suppose to brew tomorrow and was originally going to do a yeast starter yesterday for it (vermont ale yeast, good attenuation). But now I cannot start it until a couple hours from now and it will probably I only have about 18 hours before I pitch.

So my question is this: To propagate a better number of yeasties, can I use this second vile of yeast I have and add it with? This would all be done on a stir plate and Erlenmeyer flask. Or do you think I would be safe off with just the one? What would you do?

Thanks, everyone.

If the culture is fresh I'd just do one. I did a starter of Pacman on Saturday, no stir plate and it was done within 18 hours. I had already stepped it up earlier in the week, but with the stir plate you should be good as long as you're not brewing up too strong of a beer.

According to the Mr. Malty website, 12 - 18 hours on the stir plate is the optimum amount of time. In the beer I brewed yesterday, my starter was on the plate for slightly more time than that and it is ripping along right now.

http://www.mrmalty.com/starter_faq.php look at Q: At what point do I pitch the starter into the wort?

Edit: Also, I believe your O.G. will effect the size of the starter but not necessarily the time it takes to ferment out. Your starter O.G. should be around 1.035 in any case.

If you're not doing a high gravity beer 18 hours is enough to get a nice cell number. Of course, it depends on the temperature you are propagating. Yet, you can always postpone the inoculation for a few hours untill your starter is done.

If you're not doing a high gravity beer 18 hours is enough to get a nice cell number. Of course, it depends on the temperature you are propagating. Yet, you can always postpone the inoculation for a few hours untill your starter is done.

As I mentioned above, beer gravity won't effect the time required for the starter, only the size of starter required.

Awesome! This all puts me at ease. We are actually doing an IPA but we are doing it as a collaboration brew between some friend brewers and we are not deciding until the morning on the recipe when we meet up. But I'll play it safe and make sure it stays below 1.065 or so. Also has anyone had any good experience with Vermont Ale Yeast by Yeastbay?

Back