Quick Question Before I Begin

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smstromb

Reaction score
I'm interested in brewing my own beer but have one quick question before I do. Do you have to be 21 years old to buy equipment/beer kits/beer ingredients from my local brewstore?

There is no alcohol content in the ingredients used to make beer and thus you should not have to be 21 to purchase the ingredients. Consuming the results while under the age of 21 is a misdemeanor in most states.

You don't have to be 21 to buy grain, extract, hops, yeast, etc. You also don't have to be 21 to buy carboys and other brewing equipment. Besides, I think the drinking age is a joke. You can die for your country but you can't have a beer? :confused: I say stick it to the man and make your own beer! :D If your LHBS gives you a hassle then buy on-line.

1+ buying online, I've never once been asked my age when purchasing any ingredients/equipment online.....come to think of it my local brew shop doesn't ask either....you're fine!

I'm in VA, and my understand here is that you can be under 21 to purchase all ingredients and equip, and you are allowed to brew it, but obviously not allowed to consume it. My LHBS has 2 workers who are under 21 who assist the other workers and owners, and the owners always poke fun at them due to that they make pretty good beer but they can't try them themselves.

Latest posts

Back