Quick question about hop substitution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BassBeer

Reaction score
Hi guys

I'm brewing a Rye PA tomorrow that calls for Magnum @ 60, Centennial @ 30, and Cascade @ 1.

My question is: would Nugget be an acceptable sub for the Centennial (LHBS is out) in this situation? I have 1oz. of fresh Simcoe as well but want to dry hop with those.

Thanks in advance!

I wouldn't try to substitute Nugget for Centennial. I think Nugget would be alright, but I don't think the character is close enough. I'd either use additional Cascade (using a little extra on top to make up for the AA difference), maybe Chinook, Columbus, or Amarillo. My vote would be for the Amarillo.

Wow, that was fast. Thanks!

What about using Nugget for bittering and the Magnum for the 30 min addition?

I've actually never used Magnum, but from what I understand it's a VERY clean hop with high AA, making for a great bittering hop, but not as useful for later additions. Perhaps someone who's used it can provide some better advice, but I'd think that'd have the same problem where the character wouldn't be right. Like I said, I'd stick with the C hops, or Amarillo. But it's your beer, so do it however you want. Nothing wrong with experimentation :mug:

Back