quick partial belgium recipe check please

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nvs-brew

Reaction score
Hey Guys
Want to do a belgium/bock style tonight..
want to place my grains for the partial (BIAB)

i already have:
Wyeast Trappist HG
Coopers select pilsner LME

now i was thinking grain wise:
70% Pilsner
15% Munich
10% Vienna
5% Biscuit

Im not sure about hop additions as the Pilsner LME already has hops..
opinions on hop additions and grains please before i order

I don't know a Belgian bock is, so I don't have much advice, but I"ve never seen prehopped pilsner extract. It is a pilsner canned kit? That would be what I'm guessing.

I have no idea which direction to go, as I'm not sure what your goals are. But I would dump the prehopped pilsner kit, and get extract and then hop accordingly.

this is the LME
Coopers_Brewmaster_Selection_Pilsener_beer_kit.jpg

http://www.ratebeerkits.com/items/view/coopers-pilsner

i would say that would be hopped with saaz (being a pils)

im not going for a belgium bock, im going for something that has some of the characteristics of them (sweet, malty, ambar colour)

im not going for a belgium bock, im going for something that has some of the characteristics of them (sweet, malty, ambar colour)

I think what Yooper is struggling with is the term "belgium bock", as am I. Bocks are strong German lagers - the various styles are all fairly malty, but brewed with clean lager yeast. Belgian ales also include a variety of styles, but with very different characteristics due to the Belgian yeast. Amber colored ones would probably be a dubbel or a quad (dark strong ale).

Back