quick math question 20 abv distilled 13 gallons final vol?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Comrade Stone

Reaction score

if I could achieve the 20% and distilled it how.much true shine could I get at 175 proof ? 180?

also same statement but 55 gallons ?

getting a stainless steel for my birthday 13-16 gal

column still or traditional ??

It's been too long since algebra, but I know you're looking for an algebraic mixture table.

P.S. It's not 'quick'

if I could achieve the 20% and distilled it how.much true shine could I get at 175 proof ? 180?

also same statement but 55 gallons ?

getting a stainless steel for my birthday 13-16 gal

column still or traditional ??
from 13 gallons, about a gallon of mainly hearts, this is an approximate number, can vary on actual runs considering how you'll make cuts & what you're fermenting. Approx 5 gallons from 55. I'm guessing you're looking at making sugar wash so column would be better. For brandies & whiskys, pot still would be better. If you want to make 20% ABV, I suggest add sugar and nutrients in batches,stagger it over 1-2 days' gap; if you add all the sugar in one go, it'll make the yeast stressed and it would result in off flavours.

If you have 13 gal of 20% ABV ethanol in water, you have 0.20 *13 gal = 2.6 gal of ethanol. With a perfect column still you could recover all of that ethanol along with about 0.12 gal of water. 2.6 gal of ethanol in a 180 proof mixture would total 2.6 / 0.9 = 2.9 gal. A pot still will recover considerably less of the ethanol in the starting wash (amounts like @Abhishek Dewan give in the previous post) and it will difficult to get the early runnings from a second distillation above 80% ABV (160 proof.) As you continue the second distillation, the ABV of the product will go down.

Brew on :mug:

Instead of focusing on big ABV and high volume, spend a bit of time learning to make quality product. IME, 20% washes lead to poor quality booze. Unless you spend a fortune on turbo this and turbo that to help clear things.

Nice, I have their 8 gal 2" dual purpose, and over the years it has grown after adding to it.

If you go electric (4500w or 5500w) be ready to dial it back once it heats up, while the liebig condenser works, they can be easily overpowered.

how much do you get per run out of that bad boy ?

eventually depends how much it cost to run each way
Electric is going to give you better control over the distillation rate. Look into the StillDragon controller. Electric is cheaper than propane, and wood is a PITA (unless you like banjos and such.)

Electric is going to give you better control over the distillation rate. Look into the StillDragon controller. Electric is cheaper than propane, and wood is a PITA (unless you like banjos and such.)

so that's with in my skill to make that but what should I be using for the element its self ? I'm only finding kits that arnt full

clutch thanks man :) I'm not sure if it's set up like that or if it's an option it says thermo wall 54 or 59$
From the website:
"13-gallon boiler with 2″ clamp, gasket. and end-cap at the bottom for an optional heating element."​
That's a tri-clamp port for the type of heating element I linked.

Yup I use 8 of these 2" TC based elements at my brewpub... ordered them right from one of the 2 manufacturers for $25-30 each with shipping... Yuling ... they are all over alibaba selling different types of heating elements.

Yup I use 8 of these 2" TC based elements at my brewpub... ordered them right from one of the 2 manufacturers for $25-30 each with shipping... Yuling ... they are all over alibaba selling different types of heating elements.

interesting thank you for the input

Back