Quick hop "season" question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pfgonzo

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
If I am looking at an online hop purchasing resource and I see: 2008 Fuggle Hops, when were these hops harvested?

Some agricultural produce is dated by seasons which overlap the actual calendar year changeover. For example, a fall/winter squash picked in November 2008 is actually considered part of the 2009 growing season.

Is the same true for hops? If I see 2008 hops, does this mean they were picked a year ago, or are they the most recent crop?

Thanks!

If I am looking at an online hop purchasing resource and I see: 2008 Fuggle Hops, when were these hops harvested?

Some agricultural produce is dated by seasons which overlap the actual calendar year changeover. For example, a fall/winter squash picked in November 2008 is actually considered part of the 2009 growing season.

Is the same true for hops? If I see 2008 hops, does this mean they were picked a year ago, or are they the most recent crop?

Thanks!

They were picked in the last few months, probably early September. Those are the freshest, go for it!

Hops are only harvested in the late Summer & early Fall, there's no overlap year-to-year.

Back