Quick fermentation question.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrianized

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

First time dabbling in BIAB, brewing a Nelson Sauvin APA/IPA.

The attached image is a week into secondary... shouldn't it beginning to clear up now? I'm shooting for an SRM around 6.

It's just muck. Smells great, tho.

Thoughts?

image.jpg

When did you transfer to secondary? It looks like there is a krausen ring in your secondary which generally won't happen unless you added a fermentable like fruit or honey. What it looks like is you transferred to secondary too soon which slowed down the primary fermentation which is why it hasn't cleared yet. This is just a guess based on the picture. I would wait another week before dry hopping

It typically is clearer. If you tasted it going into secondary and it tasted good then I wouldn't worry about it. Did you take any gravity measurements? If it's finished and there isn't any diacetyl then you can add something like gelatin or biofine. I had a rye ale that was pretty murky going into the keg. I added gelatin and kieselsol and it was clear in a couple of days.

I did primary for 6 days, at which point it had steady gravity readings for a couple days and very little air lock activity.

The top is dry hopping in a bag (which, I know realize is probably a waste of effort... just going to dump them in next time)

Oh that makes sense why there are hops stuck towards the top. If you want it clearer i would wait another week. You could even do an extra dry hopping for a little more punch!

Well I think you guys are definitely right that I racked too soon, my airlock activity is now up to 5-6 bubbles a minute and there's a steady stream of microbubbles running up the side of the carboy walls.

So, I just wait it out and let it finish?

Well I think you guys are definitely right that I racked too soon, my airlock activity is now up to 5-6 bubbles a minute and there's a steady stream of microbubbles running up the side of the carboy walls.

So, I just wait it out and let it finish?

IMO, you did transfer too soon. But your fermentation was probably done.

What you are seeing now is probably not fermentation, but just excess co2 coming out of solution.

Your beer will not look totally clear in the carboy due to the volume you are looking through. Take a small sample in a glass or sampling tube to determine clarity. More time is all it should take. I never make any assumptions it less than 2 weeks. I rarely do a secondary, time clears the beer in most cases.

Back