Quick Disconnect Does Not Turn

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratebrew

Reaction score
Hi everyone! recently I got a plate chiller with some quick disconnects to chill my wort, and some fittings to be able to connect everything but the issue I'm having is that my 1/2" quick disconnects won't fit on my 1/2" fittings, both sets of pieces were bought on Amazon, the links are below.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B074TDCT8Y/ref=ppx_yo_b_asin_title_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/Fitting-Fema...coding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=GD9K9TJWM7CFKRRNN3E6
So, my question is, is there any way to connect these pieces of hardware or am I just missing something about the pieces? As far as I understand, both sets of pieces have the same size and should fit together but the quick disconnect won't go more than 1/2 a turn over the fitting

On your 2nd link, here's an Amazon customer review:
The 1/2” MPT were not cut concentric and would not work.
Could that be the issue?

Are you saying your plate chiller has 3/4" threaded stubs on all 4 ports or just on 2?

On your 2nd link, here's an Amazon customer review:

Could that be the issue?

Are you saying your plate chiller has 3/4" threaded stubs on all 4 ports or just on 2?
I tried with other 1/2 nuts and it does work fine, and yes the chiller has 4 3/4 stubs

This may be worth considering: Camlocks, like these:
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1844.htm

Although there are 3/4" (and larger) Camlocks, if you want the more common 1/2" Camlocks, you still would need some sort of threaded reducer to go from 3/4" to 1/2".

Triclamps are another option.

I use 1/2" Camlocks, and have never had any problem fitting those, even coming from different sources. I really appreciate having the full 1/2" bore throughout using high flow elbows and the Big C.

Males on equipment, females on all hoses. But you really do need 2 hands to lock them, which is only a small trade-off.

Does that point to a problem with those 3/4" to 1/2" adapters or with the 1/2" female threads on the bottom of the QDs?
I used a water flex connector to check both threads and both of them fit their respective end, I was thinking that maybe the issue is the diameter of each one but I'm not sure about that

This may be worth considering: Camlocks, like these:
https://www.brewhardware.com/category_s/1844.htm

Although there are 3/4" (and larger) Camlocks, if you want the more common 1/2" Camlocks, you still would need some sort of threaded reducer to go from 3/4" to 1/2".

Triclamps are another option.

I use 1/2" Camlocks, and have never had any problem fitting those, even coming from different sources. I really appreciate having the full 1/2" bore throughout using high flow elbows and the Big C.

Males on equipment, females on all hoses. But you really do need 2 hands to lock them, which is only a small trade-off.

I'll check them but I'll be on the states just for a few more days and then I come back to South America so I might not be able to bring the parts with me haha

I used a water flex connector to check both threads and both of them fit their respective end, I was thinking that maybe the issue is the diameter of each one but I'm not sure about that

I'll check them but I'll be on the states just for a few more days and then I come back to South America so I might not be able to bring the parts with me haha
Could there be a burr on the threads? Or maybe they are out of round. Maybe the 1/2" side of the adapter is not tapered, or out of spec otherwise? Most of this stuff comes from China, with their 'QC.'

Oh, darn, you need to get this sorted out quickly.
Have you put teflon tape on the male threads? Never screw stainless (basically any metals) together without it, it's suspect to galling (fusing together) when it gets tight.

Could there be a burr on the threads? Or maybe they are out of round. Maybe the 1/2" side of the adapter is not tapered, or out of spec otherwise? Most of this stuff comes from China, with their 'QC.'

Oh, darn, you need to get this sorted out quickly.
Have you put Teflon tape on the male threads? Never screw stainless (basically any metals) together without it, it's suspect to galling (fusing together) when it gets tight.
I did put Teflon and keg lube, I could try to post high res pictures of the threads but it is constant across the 4 adapters so I don't think its a blur, also I was thinking about using flex waterpipes but I'm worried about them leaching something due to the high temperature of the wort

On your plate chiller, for the 'hot wort side' you need (food grade) thick walled silicone hose (1/8" wall thickness), as in all brewing applications.

On the plate chiller's 'chilling side' it doesn't matter, anything works, but... the return from the plate chiller (the output) could be close to boiling hot water, so use something that can handle it without spraying hot water around your brewery.

Flex waterline has quite a thin bore, you may or may not push enough water volume through. I doubt it's suitable for the wort side, potential leaching problems. The inner tube is vinyl isn't it, not sure? PE maybe, that would be OK.

On your plate chiller, for the 'hot wort side' you need (food grade) thick walled silicone hose (1/8" wall thickness), as in all brewing applications.

On the plate chiller's 'chilling side' it doesn't matter, anything works, but... the return from the plate chiller (the output) could be close to boiling hot water, so use something that can handle it without spraying hot water around your brewery.

Flex waterline has quite a thin bore, you may or may not push enough water volume through. I doubt it's suitable for the wort side, potential leaching problems. The inner tube is vinyl isn't it, not sure? PE maybe, that would be OK.
Yeah, I've got silicon tubbing, but I have the same stub size so I have the same issue in every side si I still have to find a way to get the fitting and QD connected, I was thinking of using four of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ter-Heater-Supply-Line-EBBC-07M-18a/206527452
But I'll have to check with someone at the store to check if they are food safe (I imagine they should since you normally use hot water in your kitchen) just in case

Yeah, I've got silicon tubbing, but I have the same stub size so I have the same issue in every side si I still have to find a way to get the fitting and QD connected, I was thinking of using four of these:
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbil...ter-Heater-Supply-Line-EBBC-07M-18a/206527452
But I'll have to check with someone at the store to check if they are food safe (I imagine they should since you normally use hot water in your kitchen) just in case
They won't solve a thing, IMO.
You're adding more bulk, and all it does it takes your 3/4" connections 18 inches away from your chiller. There you'll have the same issue you'll need a 3/4" adapter to 1/2" QD.

You need to find out what prevents you from screwing the QD onto the adapter. That's the essence from where I see it.

They won't solve a thing, IMO.
You're adding more bulk, and all it does it takes your 3/4" connections 18 inches away from your chiller. There you'll have the same issue you'll need a 3/4" adapter to 1/2" QD.

You need to find out what prevents you from screwing the QD onto the adapter. That's the essence from where I see it.

Hi! Yeah, I know it will add more bulk and I meant to put the flexes between the adapter and the QD, any how as soon as I can get a caliper I'll measure the diameters and see if it has something to do (I really hope it does not) and if that's the issue I'd try to grind the threads to fit, other thing I was thinking about was getting new adapters but since I cannot find stainless steel I was wondering if I could use brass adapters (which does not make me happy but might work), unless you have any advice against it.

Are you sure they're all NPT thread? My chiller has 2 ports that are NPT thread and 2 that are garden hose thread.
I'm sure about it but the issue is not about the chiller, the problem is that the 3/4" to 1/2" does not fit with the 1/2" female thread QD :confused:

Hi! Yeah, I know it will add more bulk and I meant to put the flexes between the adapter and the QD, any how as soon as I can get a caliper I'll measure the diameters and see if it has something to do (I really hope it does not) and if that's the issue I'd try to grind the threads to fit, other thing I was thinking about was getting new adapters but since I cannot find stainless steel I was wondering if I could use brass adapters (which does not make me happy but might work), unless you have any advice against it.

I'm sure about it but the issue is not about the chiller, the problem is that the 3/4" to 1/2" does not fit with the 1/2" female thread QD :confused:
I think I mentioned this before, check that 3/4" to 1/2" adapter. It may be straight threads, not be NPT (tapered). That's why the nut would fit, but your QD (which is most likely NPT) doesn't. The Amazon review also mentioned there was an issue with it, not fitting right. Maybe out of round?

I especially selected and bought a 30-plate chiller from Duda Diesel that has four 1/2" (NPT) stubs. As that's what I could see being the best for my setup then, and most future proof, later. That was a good decision. No 3/4", no Garden Hose connector ports, as appeared to be very common. I had no use for them, I brew indoors, and my system was going to be 1/2" bore, all the way through.
A few years later I ditched the brass barb connectors I used on the chiller and got 1/2" Camlocks for all hot side fittings as well as thick walled silicone hoses. Never looked back.

Take the stuff to a decent hardware/plumbing store and see what fits and perhaps you can coax it into accepting your QDs, once the threads have been used and 'dulled' a bit.
Also, the more threads and adapters you have exposed to wort, the more stuff tends to stick in it, and the more attention you need to pay to cleaning those regularly to prevent infections later.
Aside from thorough backwashing, from time to time I bake my chiller at 400-450F for a few hours, together with a few loaves of bread. Shake as much water out as you can before putting it into the oven.

I think I mentioned this before, check that 3/4" to 1/2" adapter. It may be straight threads, not be NPT (tapered). That's why the nut would fit, but your QD (which is most likely NPT) doesn't. The Amazon review also mentioned there was an issue with it, not fitting right. Maybe out of round?

I especially selected and bought a 30-plate chiller from Duda Diesel that has four 1/2" (NPT) stubs. As that's what I could see being the best for my setup then, and most future proof, later. That was a good decision. No 3/4", no Garden Hose connector ports, as appeared to be very common. I had no use for them, I brew indoors, and my system was going to be 1/2" bore, all the way through.
A few years later I ditched the brass barb connectors I used on the chiller and got 1/2" Camlocks for all hot side fittings as well as thick walled silicone hoses. Never looked back.

Take the stuff to a decent hardware/plumbing store and see what fits and perhaps you can coax it into accepting your QDs, once the threads have been used and 'dulled' a bit.
Also, the more threads and adapters you have exposed to wort, the more stuff tends to stick in it, and the more attention you need to pay to cleaning those regularly to prevent infections later.
Aside from thorough backwashing, from time to time I bake my chiller at 400-450F for a few hours, together with a few loaves of bread. Shake as much water out as you can before putting it into the oven.

Thanks for the advice, I found new adapters. About the baking part, won't it melt the teflon tape? or do you replace the tape after each batch?

Are you sure they're all NPT thread? My chiller has 2 ports that are NPT thread and 2 that are garden hose thread.
not only that... most of this chinese stuff is sold as one standard size and not designated whether is npt or BSP (bristish standard) threads.. they are very similiar and things like plastic threads will usually work with either with some effort but not stainless to stainless... I had the same issue with the fittings that came with my bayou classic kettles.. they threads are cut on a different pitch.

I use camlocks on my plate chiller but Ive never had to bake mine either... I take efforts like using two hop spiders to keep the solids out of it in the firstplace and always flush it with clean water right after use.

Thanks for the advice, I found new adapters. About the baking part, won't it melt the teflon tape? or do you replace the tape after each batch?
Ah, good!
I think teflon tape is heat resistant to at least 450F. I never had mine melting in the oven. I have never removed the camlocks, they've been on there now for 5 years or so.

Latest posts

Back