quick corny question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ptpeter

Reaction score
hey guys,

quick question: on the inside of my 3 corny's (all coke products) there is only one metal tube running from the top. Should there only be one for the liquid? or does the gas get its own tube as well? also, would i need to buy pin-locks since they are coke products?

Thanks
Peter

Most Coke kegs are Pin-locks- so you would need the pin lock fittings. Soda kegs have a long dip tupe on the liquid side that goes to the bottom of the keg, and a very short tube on the gas side. The gas side tube is only about 1.5" long, so it might be easy to overlook. However, some soda kegs don't have a gas side tube at all- and that may be what you have. I am currently refurbisishing some ball lock kegs and look forward to my first kegged beer in the next couple of weeks!

Pin-locks are easy to spot, the plugs have small pins sticking out of the sides and the connectors have matching notches. One big plus, the gas side has two pins and the beer side three, so it is impossible to get the lines crossed. The big downers, they aren't as common as ball lock & you WILL, at some point, hose yourself :eek: because the beer connector wasn't seated all the way.

hey, quick follow up.

can i naturally carbonate beer in a corny keg with sugar?

ptpeter said:
hey, quick follow up.

I don't know how other feel about the amount of priming sugar but if I keg instead of bottle I cut my priming sugar in 1/2. No reason other than a very experienced brewer gave me that tip when I first started. Welcome to kegging, you'll love it. :mug:

ptpeter said:
hey, quick follow up.

Yes you can, but why would you want to?

You need a CO2 source to seal the lid properly (I've never had a keg that would seal without this help, others may tell you differently) and to purge the air out of the headspace to prevent spoilage. You'll also use this CO2 source to push the beer through the tap.

You might as well just use this CO2 to carbonate as well.

Latest posts

Back