Quick Clarification for "Set and Forget" Method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gentle Jesus

Reaction score
I just purchased a small 1.75 gallon keg, and am about to transfer my beer to it to start the carbonation process. I am shooting for something around 2.2 Co2, so it looks like 12 PSI at 45 degrees Fahrenheit.

Am I supposed to leave the Co2 tank on connected to the keg at that temp and pressure the whole time until the beer is carbed? I am just double checking because I do not want to blow up my keg. Doesnt seem right leaving all that gas going into the keg for so long.

Yes, leave it connected. The regulator will only send more gas into the keg if the pressure drops below what you set it to.

Oh I see, so essentially just maintains the PSI that you set, rather than constantly send in more Co2?

Also on a side note, when is it safe to remove the regulator from the Co2 cylinder? when the gas is shut off or when the tank is empty?

You will want to relieve the pressure inside the regulator before removing it from the cylinder. It is easy enough to do by depressing the poppet on one of the QD's.

Before you leave the regulator connected for extended periods of time, you will want to ensure that your entire gas system (including the keg) is 100% leak free. If there is any significant leak, you will drain your tank in no time. Make sure of this before you leave it on for extended periods of time, and then periodically from there, as leaks can develop over time.

Unless you have leaky kegs, you only need to leave the gas connected to the keg until you have reached your desired carb level, and when you are serving (to keep the head space pressure from dropping, which will cause the beer to lose carbonation over time.)

As long as you don't fill your kegs above the straight sidewall portion, the smaller volume of these kegs should allow set and forget to fully carbonate in 8 - 10 days (assuming they are the same diameter as 5 gal kegs.)

Brew on :mug:

Back