Quick CHRISTmas question - LME in fridge?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jesse17

Yep....I tell you what...
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I'll keep it short so the people as pathetic as me (the ones on HBT on Christmas) can get back to there family.

I received my AHB Fat Tire extract clone kit last night. I put the yeast, and LME in the fridge. I will brew it tomorrow, so I took the yeast out to warm up this morning, and will smack it this afternoon.

As far as the LME goes, should it be refrigerated, or can you store it at room temp? If it needs to be refrigerated, how long do I take it out before using it?

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

EDIT: OK, after posting this I searched (I know, I know, I did it bas Ackword) anyway, I see most people refrigerate it, and warm it up in a sink of hot water before brewing with it.

Next question: How hot of water, and how long should I soak it before trying to use it?

When you start your brewing, just fill your sink with the hottest tap water you can. My electric stove has a warming burner, I poke a hole in the top of the extract and set it on the warmer. By the time I'm ready to add it to my water, it is almost to hot to hold the can with my bare hand.

It doesn't really matter, the warmer it is the easier it is to get the extract out of the can.

Linc

Well at my LHBS it the LME is stored in 50 gal drums, and it is not in the fridge...But maybe after it comes out of the barrel it should be because of contaminates getting in during the pour out of the barrel???? Mine ususally doesnt sit around long enough to worry about :) Like ususally as soon as I get home I am heating water up in my kettle? :mug:

I've stored LME for weeks at room temp. When you get it home, pull the lid off and pour a thin layer of vodka on top of it. It will keep it fresh for a while till brew day. I also purge the top with CO2 just for kicks before putting the lids on.

Or, if you use propane, you can put the can(s) on the side of the burner while you are heating up your water. I've found that about the time it takes to reach a boil (15 min. or so), the LME is plenty warm for pouring. For storing, you can do what EdWort said, that will work fine.

Back