Questions on Roasting Pecans for homebrew use.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

malev0lent1

Reaction score
I've read that when using pecans it's best to roast them then place them in paper bags to allow some of the oils to soak in to the bags. I've seen posts in regards to the Lazy Magnolia Pecan beer that the process should be done 2-3 times but I was wondering if anyone out there has tried this? How long should I let the Pecans sit in the bags before attempting the subsequent 2nd and 3rd roasting sessions?

Also, will roasting them at this temperature kill off the nasties? I plan to use upwards of 3 pounds of crushed pecans in secondary and hate to think I'd have to cover them in vodka before adding to secondary since I'd have to pitch the vodka in too. It'd probably be enough vodka that I imagine it'd be noticeable in the final product.

Appreciate any help or advice!

I have roasted 8 pounds of pecans using the 3-time method. Note that I used RAW pecans from Trader Joes...I've never bought roasted pecans to roast.

The first time the pecan halves got a high heat roast at 425 for about 10 minutes. The second I saw them start to smoke, I took them out. I put them in paper bags and crushed them and left them overnight. I also threw a couple paper towels in there to ensure there was ample paper to absorb oils.

The second round I took the crushed pecans and roasted them for 10 minutes at 350. I put them out on paper towels for a couple of hours and came back. Finally, the third round they were roasted for 10 more minutes at 300. Again, I laid them on paper towels and if I saw that the towels absorbed some oil, I gave it another 10 minutes at 300. I used parchment paper to line my baking sheets.

I think that overall that temp will kill the nasties, except you can't do the last step I do. You'd want to go from oven to carboy fast, I'd think. I tossed mine in spiced rum, which was what we had intended to do.

You could do vodka then sanitize a strainer and pour the vodka out into the sink while keeping your pecans. You want to ensure that strainer is really clean. They harbor little nasties themselves from food. Or go to Big Lots or the dollar store and buy a plastic one to use once.

Consider soaking the smashed up nuts in Vodka for a week, then pouring in the Vodka , through a mesh bag to keep out the bits.

I have roasted 8 pounds of pecans using the 3-time method. Note that I used RAW pecans from Trader Joes...I've never bought roasted pecans to roast.

The first time the pecan halves got a high heat roast at 425 for about 10 minutes. The second I saw them start to smoke, I took them out. I put them in paper bags and crushed them and left them overnight. I also threw a couple paper towels in there to ensure there was ample paper to absorb oils.

The second round I took the crushed pecans and roasted them for 10 minutes at 350. I put them out on paper towels for a couple of hours and came back. Finally, the third round they were roasted for 10 more minutes at 300. Again, I laid them on paper towels and if I saw that the towels absorbed some oil, I gave it another 10 minutes at 300. I used parchment paper to line my baking sheets.

I think that overall that temp will kill the nasties, except you can't do the last step I do. You'd want to go from oven to carboy fast, I'd think. I tossed mine in spiced rum, which was what we had intended to do.

You could do vodka then sanitize a strainer and pour the vodka out into the sink while keeping your pecans. You want to ensure that strainer is really clean. They harbor little nasties themselves from food. Or go to Big Lots or the dollar store and buy a plastic one to use once.

Great info. Thank you for your reply!

I think I might do a quick dunk in star san over vodka. I'm also adding a Vanilla bean tincure that has been soaking in vodka so I'm really worried about adding any more vodka to the beer.

Consider soaking the smashed up nuts in Vodka for a week, then pouring in the Vodka , through a mesh bag to keep out the bits.

I considered this but I'm using 3 pounds of pecans, it's a ton of pecans that I'd have to cover. As mentioned in a previous reply I'm also using Vanilla beans that are soaking in vodka too. I think if I added the pecan vodka I'd be over the limit of what can go in with out affecting the beer.

Thanks for your reply!

Great info. Thank you for your reply!

I think I might do a quick dunk in star san over vodka. I'm also adding a Vanilla bean tincure that has been soaking in vodka so I'm really worried about adding any more vodka to the beer.

That may be okay since you're roasting them, but then you're leaving them out overnight and using paper bags that aren't sanitary. The paper is pretty important as it absorbs the oils. I am unsure I trust Star San to rid food from nasties. On the other hand, maybe you could freeze the pecans, which may act a lot like a hop. We don't sanitize our hops before we dry-hop, so maybe that could work.

Me, I'd be buying some cheap ass hillbilly vodka.

That may be okay since you're roasting them, but then you're leaving them out overnight and using paper bags that aren't sanitary. The paper is pretty important as it absorbs the oils. I am unsure I trust Star San to rid food from nasties. On the other hand, maybe you could freeze the pecans, which may act a lot like a hop. We don't sanitize our hops before we dry-hop, so maybe that could work.

Me, I'd be buying some cheap ass hillbilly vodka.

Hmmm, freezing is an interesting idea!

I considered vodka, but again it would have been A LOT to add to the beer. I'm sure the taste would have been noticable.

Unfort, I've already racked to secondary today!

Follow these instructions and you will be fine.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=340640

As you can see, many people have had success. Plus, this is just a damn good beer! :mug:

Thanks dude! i had seen simialr recipes, and lots of people use pecans in mash which would eliminate the need for the vodka or star san altogether. What I was going for was a clone of Southern Slice. I spoke with Wayne of CCB who gave me the hint that they did not mash with pecans and instead added them after primary. Since this is the beer I was trying to mimic i decided to try using the methods they did.

Racked my dopplebock today on top of the 3 pounds of pecans and 3 vanilla beans that have been split, scraped and soaking in vodka for 3 months. Roasted the pecans one last time then did a dunk in star san, hoping the nasties are gone and we don't have any infections

IMAG0091.jpg

I know this is a super old thread, but wondering how this turned out.

Thinking about trying to brew something that might use pecans in the mash and pecans in secondary as well.

Back