Questions from first-time brewers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birvine

Reaction score
On and on it goes - new brewers ask some fundamental questions about our hobby/pastime/passion. Over time, the same questions over and over. And over. With the proper search, the answers would be found on older posts here on HBT or elsewhere online. That being said, when one is starting out in something new, it might seem that everything is unknown and mysterious so to search for something rather than asking your own very specific questions might be a little unsettling. So ask away. Or, is it annoying to see these same questions every day or at least week? Or with the prevailing knowledge base and opinions gradually drifting in one or another direction one is hard-pressed, say, to know that yeast X prefers a temperature of Y degrees C.

So, whether it be in travel forums, bicycling forums or here in HBT, I can speak for myself to say that at least for the time being I will happily answer noobs' questions to better ease them into the hobby - unlike the old battle-axes who screamed all of the junior members off of my golf club when I was a kid.

Are there any opinions on this matter or have I put everyone to sleep? Or... /0? or +1?

B

I have been on this forum for a few months and evrybody here is really cool. I have never had anyone turn my questions down, no matter how annoying they are. Home brew dudes are good dudes.

I think it's good that we have so many members. If someone sees the same question over and over, they don't have to answer if they don't feel like it because someone else will be along in a few minutes. We were ALL beginners at one time, and I always feel like I"m beginner in something. Once I feel that I master one small piece of brewing, I start delving into new areas. I'm pretty proficient about AG brewing, for example, but NOT water chemistry or RIMS set-ups. So I might ask some "dumb" questions about water chemistry, but people are still patient with me!

I agree that homebrewers as a group are pretty cool people and most of us are pretty laid back.

As one of those annoying newbies I appreciate the patients and help of the community, sometimes no matter how much you search you can't quite find an answer that is specific enough to your question to ease your mind. Thanks for being a helpful lot!

Every once in a while I get the urge to troll the heck out of either new brewer threads, or old farts who answer new brewer questions.

So far I've held it in check (and I try to be helpful when I can be). :p

That said, internet forums have been around for something like 2 decades. Everyone should know how to use the search function by now.

In regard to the n00b posts, there's absolutely nothing you can do about it. I'm a total n00b home brewer but am extremely experienced in computers, making music, cigars, and a number of other fields to which I belong to several forums of. on all those forums we deal with the same newbie questions daily. A lot of time people get ticked off and post to use the search engine, but typical most let it slide cause they know if everyone new user was forced to resort to the search engine they wouldn't get many new users that stick around. It's a fact of life. Just gotta be thankful there are those that do answer n00b questions!! Take a trip to the Ubuntu Linux forums and you'll see *0* answers on 95% of the new threads there.

So, my suggestion for those that hate the n00b questions are to just don't read them, stick in the more experienced sections cause if the same questions over and over irritate you it will drive you mad!! Haha :D Leave it to those that don't mind or actually like helping/reassuring n00bs ;)

Rev.

As a n00b to brewing, all I can say is thank you for helping me when I've had a question or two.

In regards to the search function, think of it like Google but it's a lot harder to work out what's irrelevant and what's not. That's why n00bies like me ask once we can't find what we want on search. ;)

:mug:

Meh....I read the threads I want to, I ignore the ones that don't interest me.

As a perpetual noob, I find the search function will typically answer my questions. If not I ask away.

I'm always happy to spread some knowledge if I have it.

I'm a High School teacher. I generally am happy to answer any questions so long as the asker doesn't have their finger up their nose.

Sometimes we noobs don't know the terminology well enough to ask the question in search. What good will it do for me to search filtering when I really meant vorlauf? Rinse is what I might do but everyone else is sparging. That's one of the reasons that the same question comes up all the time. How do I search for lumpy greyish brown stuff on top of my fermenter?

I figure if I don't know the answer then I'm still a noob... ie always will be since I will always aspire to learn new info.

B

During my first AG today, I kept my laptop with me so I could search for answers as questions came up. I know you guys would answer any questions, but I only had time for searching. When the kettle is boiling, a search is all you got.

Thanks all...

i asked alot of questions when i first started with the site. i didn't know there was a search button for a while. now i am seeing the same questions pop up over and over and over. RDWHAHB was the one that got me. i kept that in mind when i brewed everytime. i am learning with everypost and every read. i feel that i am still a noob, but i am pointing newer noobs in the right direction.

I fully agree with BoxofRain.

I have posted questions that have been asked before, but that is because I felt that my situation was different and therefor a different question functionally, or the original thread that I saw didn't really aim at what I was trying to find out.

For a new member, new to the hobby especially, it may be hard to find what you are looking for as you don't know the lingo (phenols, krausen, RDWHAHB...) so may not know what you are looking for.

If I see a post that I have seen done before, but the poster is asking intelligently and is kind, then I am happy to answer!

R.
DW.
HAHB.
HAN (Help A Newbie)

....at least for the time being I will happily answer noobs' questions to better ease them into the hobby...
Thank goodness for posters like you in the forums.

I don't blame those who are tired of the same old questions. They just have to stay away from the beginner forum. I also wouldn't blame you if you decided to take a break for a while. Maybe some others who had been away would decide to drop in and answer a few questions.

I can see how it would be irritating for regulars to see too many beginner questions in the other forums. My first impression is that this beginner forum is an active, informative place. No reason for me to push my luck asking noob questions in the other forums.

I'm a noob at brewing. I belong to reloading and bullet casting forums and understand the frustation of seeing the same questions over and over and over. I know some guys get ticked after awhile (I have myself), so I try and help.

I also understand the frustration of being a rookie and not finding what you want with the search button. I'm a compooter retawd and my wife cringes when I get on it. It takes me a long time to type and have a heck of a time typing what I mean. I try the searches and it usually just confuses and frustrates me.

I have noticed that the advice seems to rotate from the old hands on down to the noob's and in a few months some of the noobs are answering the basic questions to the new noob's. In a few more months, the new noob's will be giving a helping hand with the same old questions. Its not like the same person is always answering the same questions.

I have asked a couple stupid questions here that I'm sure have been asked before and had great help from you guys. I know I'll have many more stupid questions so please bare with me and the others.

My thanks are going out to all you guys that help us compooter 'tards and rookies.

CHEERS TO YOU:mug:

Back