questions around brewing with unmalted barley

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sarsippius

Reaction score
Hi all, new to the forum, been brewing about 6 years now . . . Have been doing 5 gallon all-grain batches for about 2 years now and am now getting the gear together to move up to 15 gallon batches. I have a friend who grows barley and is giving me 100 pounds of unmalted barley. I'm looking into what I can do with it-- ideally i'd like to use it as a portion of my base malts, but am a little foggy on the enzymatic capabilities of regular malted barley-- mainly how much I can get away with adding to my mash and still hope to get a decent conversion.

From what I've read so far, I need to do a cereal mash to get the starches into solution and easily accessible to the enzymes in my malt. I also understand that 6-row generally has more diastatic power (DP) than 2-row. There's a lot of math and formulas involved, which is where things get confusing for me.

One thing I've read is that 6-row has about 60% 'extra' enzymes than it needs to convert it's own starches. I've seen 6-row given a 'typical' DP of 160°L (L stands for Lintner for this discussion, not Lovibond!) and 2-row given a 'typical' DP of 120°L. I've also read that a malt needs a DP of 35°L to convert it's own starch.

So now for the questions . . . I have only 2-row malt on hand, but can get 6-row if I need it. Of course I always like to use what's on hand 1st . . . I found one discussion of this where a 2:1 ratio of malt:unmalted barley was recommended for a good conversion using 6-row. If I want to use my 2-row, my guess is that I could start experimenting at a 4:1 ratio and then maybe try a 3:1 ratio if I get good conversions with my 4:1 ratio. Do these ratios seem reasonable for any of you all that are more scientific about their beers than I?

Also, it would be nice to really understand this whole Lintner scale thing. If 35°L will convert itself, does that mean that double that (70°L) would convert itself and an equal weight of unmalted grain? It doesn't seem right with the numbers I've seen in other discussions, as if that's the case and 2-row has a DP of 120°L, I should be able to get away with a 1:3 ratio of malt:unmalted grain rather than a 3:1 ratio. This would really save on the amount of malt I need for a batch and local unmalted barly is next to free here. It would be really nice to brew a 5 gallon batch of decently strong beer and only need to use 3 pounds of malt mixed with 9 pounds of unmalted barley-- that would stretch a 50lb bag of malt out to over 80 gallons of beer! My guess is that this Lintner scale is not linear, and that doubling the DP won't double the amount of grain it would convert, but would like to know if someone can confirm that.

Any thoughts? The grain is arriving today and I have several batches I need to brew within the next week that I'd like to try this with if I can get some firm numbers (or at least respectible guesses). I could always do a few 'mini-batches' to experiment with, do some iodine tests to see if I'm getting a decent starch-to-sugar conversion and then check the specific gravity to see if I'm winding up with the right amount of sugars in my wort, but it would be nice to hear if others have tried this and how things went. Thanks for the read and any feedback!

Welcome, Sarsippus! Can't comment on your question, directly, but perhaps you should take some of the barley and try malting it? There are some tutorials here about doing that, if you want to use the Google search to try to find them.

Pappers, I'll definately malt the barly if I can't use it otherwise-- that or feed it to my chickens, but I'd much rather drink it! It would be a pain to malt 100lbs at a time, though, with only household equipment to work with. Topher, wow that is quite a thread. I've made sake before, and they use a similar sounding fungus to break down the rice without malting it. You mix the stuff up and let it sit a day or two and you wind up with this slimy gooey mess that is very sweet. Not too much work, but would take a couple days' planning to make happen for a brew session. Haven't read the thread to the end yet, though, but will have shortly.

Thanks for the input and the welcomes folks!

Unmalted grain will not have any diastatic power. The plant only produces the enzymes when it starts to grow. If it's not growing, the embryonic plant doesn't need the enzymes. So if you don't malt it, you won't get any enzyme production and therefore no conversion.

Unmalted grain will not have any diastatic power. The plant only produces the enzymes when it starts to grow. If it's not growing, the embryonic plant doesn't need the enzymes. So if you don't malt it, you won't get any enzyme production and therefore no conversion.

He won't be trying to malt with pure unmalted barley (which actually can be done if you add the correct enzymes as mentioned above). The excess enzymes from the malted barley will help convert the starch in the unmalted barley.

brewit2it said:
He won't be trying to malt with pure unmalted barley (which actually can be done if you add the correct enzymes as mentioned above). The excess enzymes from the malted barley will help convert the starch in the unmalted barley.

Sorry...my bad...I got lazy and didn't thoroughly read the entire question/post.

Move along....nothing more to see here...

Hey sarsippius, how did this turn out? I've also been wondering about high levels of unmalted barley in beer.

Also, if you can find Viking brand wheat malt, that's supposed to have a Lintner of 200, which means a spectacular adjunct-to-malt ratio.

From what I've read so far, I need to do a cereal mash to get the starches into solution and easily accessible to the enzymes in my malt.

That is correct.

I also understand that 6-row generally has more diastatic power (DP) than 2-row.

More? Yes, but not enough more to be concerned about. The difference in the modern versions of 2-row and 6-row is not enough to be worried about.

So now for the questions . . . I have only 2-row malt on hand, but can get 6-row if I need it. Of course I always like to use what's on hand 1st . . . I found one discussion of this where a 2:1 ratio of malt:unmalted barley was recommended for a good conversion using 6-row. If I want to use my 2-row, my guess is that I could start experimenting at a 4:1 ratio and then maybe try a 3:1 ratio if I get good conversions with my 4:1 ratio. Do these ratios seem reasonable for any of you all that are more scientific about their beers than I?

Also, it would be nice to really understand this whole Lintner scale thing. If 35°L will convert itself, does that mean that double that (70°L) would convert itself and an equal weight of unmalted grain? It doesn't seem right with the numbers I've seen in other discussions, as if that's the case and 2-row has a DP of 120°L, I should be able to get away with a 1:3 ratio of malt:unmalted grain rather than a 3:1 ratio. This would really save on the amount of malt I need for a batch and local unmalted barly is next to free here. It would be really nice to brew a 5 gallon batch of decently strong beer and only need to use 3 pounds of malt mixed with 9 pounds of unmalted barley-- that would stretch a 50lb bag of malt out to over 80 gallons of beer! My guess is that this Lintner scale is not linear, and that doubling the DP won't double the amount of grain it would convert, but would like to know if someone can confirm that.

Modern 2-row pale malt will easily convert 50% of its' own weight in unmalted grain.

I know I know... Reviving an old thread...

Any luck? Howd it turn out?

I'm interested in brewing with a percentage of home grown unmalted barley.

Cheers!

Back