Questions about newest brew...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

2drunk2

Reaction score
This weekend my plans fell through. So, I took the opportunity to build up my brew pipeline. I have a brew planned for next weekend, and one in the primary already.

So, I figured I'd experiment with a simple brew that I could put together quickly and would be an easy drinker.

I bought two 3.3 lb cans (6.6 lbs.) of Muntons Maris Otter, 4 oz of centennial hop pellets and some US-05 yeast. So, I started a 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch. Everything smelled great during the 60 min boil, but I never thought to calculate IBU's. I added .5 oz. every 15 minutes, and one ounce at flame out for a total of 3 ounces. That left me with one ounce for dry hopping.

Then, I noticed it was super bitter. Yikes! The smell is amazing, but the taste is like straight espresso as far as bitterness. That's when I checked an IBU calculator, and realized I was at almost 41 IBU for a rather light beer.

I didn't take a gravity reading, but figured it was probably in the 1.042 range (fairly light). I'm a bit concerned that it is going to be too bitter for that gravity.

12 hours later it was bubbling away, and still smelling great. 24 hours later it blew the stopper out. Fermentation is going nuts. The scene in the carboy looks like a yeast tornado with a massive foamy head. 36 hours later, the stopper is staying put. Fermentation is still very aggressive. (72 degrees)

I'm wondering:
1. Since Muntons doesn't provide ppg on this LME, is it possible that I underestimated it?
2. Am I doomed to bitter beer face?

Here is a picture a bit before the stopper blew.

1405965599523.jpg

3 ounces of centennial in a 3 gallon boil shouldn't be overly bitter in the end especially if much of those hops were added later in the boil I assume you added 2+ gallons of water to top up?

40 IBU, is pretty bitter for a 4% beer, but there are english bitters which are that bitter and are rather pleasant. If it is too bitter for you when its ready, you can always age it for 2 months and try it again, the bitterness will mellow out. (and the hop aroma will lessen as well.) Most light extracts have the same ppg.

Would it be best to taste it after it's had a couple of weeks in the primary to see how bitter it is and dry hop it once it is where I want it? Then, I wouldn't lose all of my hop aroma.

I don't really think it's going to be all that bitter. First if you diluted the finished wort about half with tapwater that right there will cut your IDUs in half.

You ran your IDUs through some brewing software, I see. But did you put in that it was a 2.5 gallon boil by the end and added 2.5 gallons of water? Depending on when the hops where added, it would really be hard to get 40 IDUs in a partial boil like that. It would be unlikely to get it by accident.

I just entered a 3 gallon boil for a 5 gallon batch. I think it was at brewers friend or something like that.

Ha. I just checked 3 IBU calculators, and got 3 different answers. I think that's a lesson learned.

I'm surprised that the fermentation is still so active. The smell is still wonderful. If it mellows, as it should I think this will be a great simple brew. This weekend I'm making a rye that's a bit more involved, but since it's for my wife she won't mind :)

I opened it up to add some dry hops and steal a sample. Wow! It mellowed out perfectly. Just the right amount of bitter for the maris otter. This won't win awards, but it will get drank with enthusiasm :)

UPDATE:

This beer turned out great. I have a rye ale in the bottle now that is my favorite brew so far, but this particular brew comes in a close second. It was so simple, but so tasty. Thank you for helping me remain patient and calm :)

Back