Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Celestyal

Reaction score
Okay, thought of this on the blue the other day and didn't know the answer. When sanitizing my equipment what the difference between a bleach or starsanz solution vs a vinager solution? Vinager is a darn good bug/bacteria killer so what do you people think?:mug:

I really dont want my beer/wine to taste anything like vinegar, sarsanz and iodophor dont have to be rinsed. I guess if you were brewing a sour beer it wouldn't hunt...

vinager bacteria is the ultimate enemy of winemaking.

not a good idea

I won't let vinegar come anywhere near my winemaking/brewing equipment. I started out sanitizing with bleach & then learned along the way that's not a good idea either, just a little bleach residue can ruin a batch; besides, you have to rinse with boiled & cooled water & that's a PITA.

I started using Starsan & while it's a little pricey, I think it's worth every penny, been using it for years now. A simple, no-rinse sanitizer that leaves NO off flavours & is perfectly safe; yep, that's the ticket! Regards, GF.

Vinegar is a good bug killer, but so is wine. Anything that could live in wine can probably live in vinegar, including the bacteria that make wine into vinegar. Now, there is nothing alive in vinegar you can buy at wal-mart. But those bacteria are around and vinegar won't kill them.

More and more I'm using iodophor. Used properly (12.5 ppm solution in contact for one minute, reuse while still ice tea colored), it is effective, no rinse, and cheap. I've just started in wine making, but it also sounds like your KMeta should be used as a disinfectant, since it degrades too quickly, and you use such little quantities, that it isn't worth it to try and save it too long.

The only sanitizer we use in the winery is SO2. (KMeta) stick with that, starsan, or iodophor.

Back