Question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NorCalHB

Reaction score
I have seen on several youtube videos that people need blow off tubes for there beer while its fermenting.. stuff coming out of the airlock, out of the sides of the lid, everywhere and even airlocks blowing off and hitting the ceiling. Can someone explain why this is happening? Are they fermenting in a 5 gallon carboy or what? What should I know/do so this does not happen to me in future brews? Once this happens, my brewing days are over says the girlfriend.

There are many reasons for a blow-off tube! But let me say this- in all of my years of brewing, I've needed a blow off tube exactly once. It was a wheat beer, in the summer, with poor temperature control.

Here are some of the reasons you may need one: a too "hot" fermentation (high temperatures and vigorous yeast); too little headspace; high protein ingredients (wheat beers).

Trust me- if you're fermenting your ales at 65 degrees (fermentation temperature, not ambient temperatures) and you leave plenty of headspace, you should be just fine. If you have too little headspace in the fermenter, like only a 6 gallon carboy for a 5 gallon batch, you may need a blow off tube. Even so, it's easy and not messy. You just use it in place of an airlock.

Usually, the messy "explosions" you see could have been prevented. It usually involves a vigorous fermentation and a too small escape for the gas.

I've NEVER had a mess. I've made over 300 batches of beer. It's easily prevented.

Thanks Yooper... I plan on doing a Belgain White in a few weeks... I have a 6.5 gallon bucket to ferment. Should I be worried? Should I invest in Fermcap-s?

Let me add using too much yeast. I dumped a batch on a yeast cake not long ago, nothing too messy but had to keep cleaning the air lock for about 24 hours. Other than that it's just not something I experience either.

Thanks Yooper... I plan on doing a Belgain White in a few weeks... I have a 6.5 gallon bucket to ferment. Should I be worried? Should I invest in Fermcap-s?

A Belgian wit might take every bit of your headspace! Don't worry, though. You can rig a blow off tube when you put your beer into primary. I would, just to be safe!

Try to avoid dumping any more non-beer ingredients in your beer than necessary.

If you're pitching a Belgian yeast...you're going to have a pretty "dynamic" fermentation. Investing a couple bucks in a blow off tube (vinyl hose from Lowe's) is a simple thing.

I routinely have blow offs. I even had a blow off earlier this week on a 1047 beer pitched on a Safale-05 yeast slurry. And I'm fermenting in 7 1/2 galon buckets at 60 degrees right now. Ya just never know. Since you're in a high risk situation (according to your lady friend) I don't know that I'd risk it until you get a few brews under your belt.

I agree with Yooper. You will most likely be fine with just an airlock, but why take the chance? Hook up a blow-off tube and you won't have to worry.

I should have stated I am a rookie..I will be fermenting at around 70 deg when I go the Belgian..... Please explain a blow off tube.. Does it hook up onto the airlock on one end and the other end into a cup or water?
Since you're in a high risk situation (according to your lady friend) I don't know that I'd risk it until you get a few brews under your belt.
I am in a high risk situation, thats true, however, I dont know if id rather give up the high risk or the brew at this point..

You got it. 5/16id tubing attached to your airlock bottom other end into a bucket of sanitizer.

I've found that pretty much all my beers have benefited from a blow off tube especially since I started pitching according to mrmalty.

I do 5.25g batches in a 6.5g bucket.

I just upgraded to those bigger squat wine fermentors. They are bigger around so yeast can make more krausen before hitting the top.

Back