Question regarding krausen on a one gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikePGS

Reaction score
Hello. I'm currently brewing a one gallon variant of ed worts apfelwein (used brown sugar and ec 1118 instead of dextrose and montrachet). I'm brewing it in a one gallon jug and there is a thick layer of krausen at the top. I'm considering moving it into my five gallon carboy, out of fear of it bubbling over. I have an autosiphon somewhere, but am concerned that uf I rack it I will lose some of the yeast. Any advice as to whether or not this is a good idea?

How long has it been fermenting? If it's been going a day or two, and it hasn't overflowed, I wouldn't expect it to.

2 days, but I've had a napkin with a rubber band over it so far, afraid the krausen would prevent the airlock from working properly. Should I break it up?

I just did a few 1 gallon batches this weekend in the poland spring jugs. Got 20 feet of 1/4" vinyl tubing at lowe's for $3 and drilled a hole in the caps. No problems for me so far on day 4. You should be okay

Back