Question: Order of Kettles?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ace0005

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
This may be a dumb question...and I've searched the forums....and cannot find any insight. I have a 20 gallon 3 vessel EHERMS. It seems that most systems are set up (from left to right) BK, MLT, HLT.

Is there any reason why I can't have my order be: HLT, BK, MLT?

Thanks in advance!

No, you can set it up however you want. That configuration would just likely require longer hoses.

This may be a dumb question...and I've searched the forums....and cannot find any insight. I have a 20 gallon 3 vessel EHERMS. It seems that most systems are set up (from left to right) BK, MLT, HLT.

Is there any reason why I can't have my order be: HLT, BK, MLT?

Thanks in advance!

Mine's setup BK, MLT, HLT! The only reason is that I run a steam condenser so the BK is adjacent to the the water source and a drain. The MLT is next because I gravity feed the wort into the mash kettle.

Left to right my single tier 3V2P is indeed BK/MLT/HLT. Considering the typical sequence of connecting the pumps at each stage of the brew day for sure the MLT wants to be in the middle, but the BK and HLT could swap ends.

If you put the BK and HLT next to each other there's going to be a longer reach at some point in the day (specifically, when running out the mash) as mentioned.

Assuming a HERMS there's a minor advantage not having both heated vessels right next to each other, though there's a disadvantage if there's a hood involved (has to be longer with the MLT in the middle)...

Cheers!

Mine is bk/mlt/hlt because the window I exhaust out of is only a few feet away from my bk that way and I'm not a fan of the condenser setups. Cheers

On my three vessel e-herms I have left to right, Boil Kettle, Mash Tun, HLT. It's your system so you can do this any way you want.

John

I’m in the minority too I guess. Left to right HLT>MLT>BK. But this is also because my vent to outside and hood is on the right side of my brew setup directly over the boil kettle. Just works best for me this way!

So it does appear true that most single tier 3 vessel rigs are either BK>MLT>HLT or HLT>MLT>BK, and imo those are the two equally optimal configurations vs having the MLT at either end.

I wonder if there's a "handedness" involved between those two choices. I'm a righty with the former configuration, would the latter seem more natural to a lefty?

Cheers!

The only consideration is really what side the HLT's HERMS ports are on. When I designed our 3 vessel system, the HLT is on the left so the HERMS ports are on the right side for super short runs to the MLT.

So it does appear true that most single tier 3 vessel rigs are either BK>MLT>HLT or HLT>MLT>BK, and imo those are the two equally optimal configurations vs having the MLT at either end.

I wonder if there's a "handedness" involved between those two choices. I'm a righty with the former configuration, would the latter seem more natural to a lefty?

Cheers!
I a righty and have a HLT>MLT>BK system. Seems natural to me, but also brew outside and BK is more protected from wind/people in that order.

Brewing on 3V2P with propane. My setup from left to right is BK-HLT-MLT. When I built it I wanted the MLT to be a little further away from flames, and the HLT being closer to the MLT. Cheers.

I have a gravity 3 tier. I had it BK, MLT, HLT. Then I added a wash sink on the right so I turned it around. I don't have pumps so port placement isn't a consideration. Yet..

The only consideration is really what side the HLT's HERMS ports are on. When I designed our 3 vessel system, the HLT is on the left so the HERMS ports are on the right side for super short runs to the MLT.

Excellent point! I never even thought of that.

Back