Question on Yeast Harvesting…

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoadGlide

Reaction score
Am a relatively new all grain brewer and typically scale my recipes to 14~15 gallons while targeting 11~12 gallons into the fermenter and ultimately 10 gallons into my cornies.

I use a hop spider in my boil kettle and the boil kettle also has a tangential port plumbed to a counter flow chiller whereby I can simultaneously batch chill and whirlpool before transferring the wort to my fermenter. A typical time to chill 12 gallons is approximately 15 to 20 minutes. Once it’s chilled in the BK I let it rest for about 30 minutes before transferring to my 60L Speidel fermenter.

My typical ale ferm profile is to ferment in the primary for 5 -7 days (or until gravity is 1 or 2 points from FG) and then rack to a secondary.

I then begin the yeast washing process by adding about 2.5L of cooled sterilized water to the primary to begin the yeast washing process.

Given the above I can typically fill two mason jars with 10 to 12 ounces of what appears to be nice tannish color creamy layer of yeast with the rest of the jar having a layer of beer on top as well as a very very small layer of trub/cold break on the bottom.

Thanks for staying with me – my question is that it seems as if I am harvesting a rather large amount of yeast compared to all the videos and articles I’ve seen on the net i.e. most of the videos and articles make it appear as if the brewer is only able to harvest 1 – 2 ounces at best so I’m wondering if I can realistically expect to harvest 20 to 24 ounces (in total) yeast from a typical 12 gallon ale ferment?

Thanks in advance for all replies

When I rack to the secondary I would say there's about 1/2 to 3/4 of a gallon left on the bottom of my speidel fermenter. Then I add the 2.5L of sterilized water to that and shake it up for about 30 seconds - let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes and then pour 2.5L back into my flask. Then I let that settle for about 15 - 30 minutes in the fridge before pouring off into the mason jars.

BTW - thanks for the reply

I fill one quart jar from a five gallon carboy, no water added, just the remaining beer and yeast cake. Hop debris has been strained out during the pour into the carboy. There will be 375 to 400 ml of yeast in the jar after compacting for a week. That's about ten ounces. Probably leave four ounces of yeast in the fermentor.

The rinsing procedure that is often described loses a lot of yeast.

Thanks guys for your posts - have included a couple of pictures. Please feel free to comment / interpret what you see.

DSC00001.JPG

DSC00002.JPG

Thx Flars,

Another quick question - the Mr. Malty yeast calculator seems to indicate yeast viability drops off dramatically even after just a few weeks. I store my yeast in a small fridge temp regulated to 34 degrees.

My sanitation process good - how long do you think I can store this before viability is less than 70%

Thanks again.

Thx Flars,

Another quick question - the Mr. Malty yeast calculator seems to indicate yeast viability drops off dramatically even after just a few weeks. I store my yeast in a small fridge temp regulated to 34 degrees.

My sanitation process good - how long do you think I can store this before viability is less than 70%

Thanks again.

Mrmalty is sort of wrong on viability. Check out this starter/pitch rate calculator, and text.
http://www.brewunited.com/yeast_calculator.php

I still need a step two for a starter I'm getting ready to pitch into a Caribou Slobber. WY 1332 harvested 12/16/2014.

Back