Question on Wheat Beer with WY3068

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

North_of_60

Reaction score
This is pretty much Brad Smith's Wit recipe:
4.5 lbs. Pale 2 Row Belgium 3.0 SRM
4.5 lbs. Flaked Wheat 1.6 SR
.6 oz East Kent Goldings (60 minutes boil)
.75 oz Coriander Seeds crushed (5 minutes boil)
.75 oz Bitter Orange Peal (5 minutes boil)
WY 3068

It's a little over 24 hours since I pitched one smack-pak of 3068 in to 5 gallons of 1.50 OG wart at 66 F. Within 4 hours I had the temperature down to 63 F. 12 hours after pitching there was a nice krausen formed and I have been successful at keeping the beer at 63 to 64 degrees. I use a cooler and ice water to maintain beer temperature by monitoring both beer and water temperatures. It's been 30 hours since I pitched the yeast and the krausen is about an inch thick. I'm thinking of bumping the temperature of the beer to 66 F.

This is my first wheat beer, my first liquid yeast and probably goes with out saying but, my first experience with 3068.

The question is; what have you found to be the best temperature to ferment using WY3068?

IMG_0216.jpg

It's at 65 F now on day 2 so it looks like a clove forward beer. Thanks, that is a good article. I'll save it for future reference.

I ferment my wheat beers with 3068 at 62°. I am shooting for a more clove flavored beer and I’m not keen on a strong banana flavor. Even at 62° I get plenty of banana/bubble gum aroma and the banana flavor is fairly strong, but in the background.

The yeast was pitched 3 days ago. The temps have been pretty consistently 63 to 64 degrees. It hit 65 for about 6 hours on day 2. I leave for Alaska on Thursday, that will be day seven in the fermenter. After that the beer will rise to room temperature. When I'm home, I keep the house temp at 72, when I'm not home, my wife keeps it at 78.

Will it be ok to let it rise to room temperature during that period? I always let my dry yeasts do this.

Will the difference between 72 and 78 degrees mater at that point?

I will be gone for 11 days. I'll transfer to the keg when I return.

Latest posts

Back