Question on temp for priming sugar calculator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richl025

BIAB brewer
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Perhaps someone can explain this to me?

Using Northern Brewer's priming sugar calculator ( http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ ) one of the inputs is the "current beer temperature".

Shouldn't the input really be the temp at which the beer would be served?

I would think that the yeast would convert all the sugar into a certain amount of Co2 - and the temperature at which the sugar was added (at bottling) does not affect how much sugar is ultimately available...

But if it is served at different temps, that could affect the solubility of the CO2 and therefore, how much would be lost by bubbling out (?).

Any other thoughts?

Perhaps someone can explain this to me?

Using Northern Brewer's priming sugar calculator ( http://www.northernbrewer.com/priming-sugar-calculator/ ) one of the inputs is the "current beer temperature".

Shouldn't the input really be the temp at which the beer would be served?

I would think that the yeast would convert all the sugar into a certain amount of Co2 - and the temperature at which the sugar was added (at bottling) does not affect how much sugar is ultimately available...

But if it is served at different temps, that could affect the solubility of the CO2 and therefore, how much would be lost by bubbling out (?).

Any other thoughts?

What the calculator is trying to estimate is how much residual CO2 is still in solution from fermentation. Since colder liquids hold on to more CO2, the colder the fermentation the more residual CO2 will be in solution. Since warming the beer up will cause CO2 to escape, but cooling it off won't add any, it really should ask for the warmest temperature the beer saw post fermentation.

Always input the highest temperature that the beer saw during the fermentation process.

Back