Question on starter tea and incandescent light

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Neilo2020

Reaction score
Hey hope I'm not repeating a question asked before (I'm sure I am but haven't found anything in my search). I started my first kombucha brew yesterday, 4 liters (1 gallon) , but I only had a small amount of starter tea, like a quarter cup. I thought it'll be ok but the more i'm reading the less confident I am. So, question is should I add vinegar as I keep reading that it is an option (not an ideal option but an option).

I'm ok with this brew not turning out great, I can do another using the correct amount of starter from this brew which should dilute the vinegar for the most part.

Also, to maintain a warm environment, I have a brew box from when I brewed beer. It has a incandescent light bulb in it to keep the box warm. I have read to keep the brew out of sunlight, but what about incandescent, it's obviously very bright in the box. I assume UV light is the concern, but thought i'll ask.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil

Yes, add vinegar to reduce the pH so that you don't get undesirable spoilage microbes growing. And I wouldn't have it in direct light. I have mine in some light (not a dark cupboard) but it's filtered soft light and not direct light.

Thanks Yooper. The PH test I done says 5 (which is the lowest the strip displays), any advice on how much vinegar to add? I'll look for a PH tester that goes lower also, I believe 3-4 is ideal?

Hey hope I'm not repeating a question asked before (I'm sure I am but haven't found anything in my search). I started my first kombucha brew yesterday, 4 liters (1 gallon) , but I only had a small amount of starter tea, like a quarter cup. I thought it'll be ok but the more i'm reading the less confident I am. So, question is should I add vinegar as I keep reading that it is an option (not an ideal option but an option).

I'm ok with this brew not turning out great, I can do another using the correct amount of starter from this brew which should dilute the vinegar for the most part.

Also, to maintain a warm environment, I have a brew box from when I brewed beer. It has a incandescent light bulb in it to keep the box warm. I have read to keep the brew out of sunlight, but what about incandescent, it's obviously very bright in the box. I assume UV light is the concern, but thought i'll ask.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Neil

Do you have access to buy some GT's or other original non-flavored Kombucha? If so you could buy that, let it get to room temp and add it to your brew. I'm no expert but seems like a better option than vinegar.

There is nowhere around me to get that, my friend who gave me the scoby only does 2l at a time and didn't want to part with half his brew. In hindsight I should of done a much smaller batch to start and used the whole thing as starter for the 4L one.

FYI for anyone looking at this in the future. Its been 10 days, I added about 50ml of vinegar about day 3. A new scoby has formed on the top, ph is sitting just under four and it is very sweet to taste. I think all going well just needs longer.

Back