Question on Side by Side refridgerators

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MilwaukeesBus

Reaction score
I'm getting a free fridge but it's a side by side. I was wondering if anyone has been able to make the freezer side beer acceptable. It would be nice to be able to store a keg or two in the fridge side and be able to have the freezer at a good temp to lager or what not. I haven't seen the fridge yet but I think it's GE.

Thanks,
Steve

I know one guy who thought he had it balanced. But when the garage started getting hot, the fridge ran long enough that the freezer started freezing.

If it were me this is what I would do...

Buy a temperature controller, put the temp probe in the freezer and adjust the controller to get the desired temp there.

Let it stabilize for 24 hours. Take a temp reading in the fridge. Adjust the built in refrigerator controler up or down. Then wait 12-24 hours and check the temp. You might have to adjust it a couple times but it should work. This give you exact control for the freezer side which is good for lagering and slightly variable control for the fridge side which is OK for serving beer.

I wonder if you could vent from the freezer side to the fridge side? Essentially, one could run the freezer side on the temperature controller for lagering or really cold beer. The idea would be to crank the unit so that most of the cold is on the freezer side.

On the fridge side, you don't need it to be so cold. One could use a thermostat setup like guys use for chiller fermentation chambers (see here) to drive a fan or two to blow cold air from the freezer to the fridge on demand. Voila -- two-temperature fridge!

FlyGuy said:
I wonder if you could vent from the freezer side to the fridge side? Essentially, one could run the freezer side on the temperature controller for lagering or really cold beer. The idea would be to crank the unit so that most of the cold is on the freezer side.
This is how a fridge/freezer combo works. The control for the freezer actually controls the rate at which the compressor runs, etc. The control for the fridge controls a vent between the freezer and fridge (I think there is usually a fan too). This is set up like this so that you only need one compressor. This why if you use the controller to run the fridge the freezer will not get cold.

Beerrific said:
This is how a fridge/freezer combo works. The control for the freezer actually controls the rate at which the compressor runs, etc. The control for the fridge controls a vent between the freezer and fridge (I think there is usually a fan too). This is set up like this so that you only need one compressor. This why if you use the controller to run the fridge the freezer will not get cold.

So the coldest setting on the fridge is dependent on the freezer setting? So then if you set the fridge to coldest and the freezer to warmest will they be roughly the same temp?

Thats the idea. Although the warmest setting on the fridge may be colder than the coldest setting on the fridge, if that makes sense. This also may be dependent on the type of fridge.

Beerrific said:

Right, my idea was based on exploiting this. But you would have to do some major modification to the cooling system of the fridge to get the level of control I am suggesting on the fridge-side temperature. Rewiring a fridge is probably beyond most of us (me, for sure).

Also, as you mentioned, if the freezer portion isn't going to be running much if it is on a temperature controller set just above freezing. So an alternative method of cooling the fridge portion would be required.

I think DIY venting to the fridge is do-able, assuming one can make a hole through the internal fridge wall easily. I wonder where those cooling lines run....???? That could be a problem.

I have a feeling that there aren't any lines between, but I wouldn't bet a fridge on it.

If you could make a vent and fit a computer sized fan in there you could use a temp controller to run the fan, pushing the cold air into the fridge part.

To zombify an old thread.....

Has anyone looked into the wiring and thermostats of side by side fridges? I want to do as above: two different temperature fermentation chambers in a single side by side fridge. I figure one could patch a love controller into the built in thermostat and override it. I am just wondering if anyone has done this?

Thanks

Most all of the side by sides I have owned (4) have had an adjustable opening hole near the bottom in the divider. By design it's meant to allow more cooling for the meat drawer.

Figure out a way to wire a probe to a thermostst and that to a muffin fan and voila' you can force cold air into the refer side even when the compressor has cycled off. Mount the fan to some ducting to draw the cold air to the top and then let convection "drop" the temp down throughout.

Some of my previous fridges have disguised a 4" hole with clever sliding doors. Others have had the same size hole with very low tech dampers. Either way, a nimble hand and a flat head screwdriver should help you "discover" what kind of opening is there.

Back