Question on Pacman Yeast Harvested from two 22 oz bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
So last night I harvested the yeast from two bombers of Rogue ale. The first was a Deadguy and the second was the Sommer Honey. I left about three quarters inch of beer in the bottom of each bottle and swirled until all the yeast was off the bottom and poured it into my 32 oz starter, no stir plate. I used yeast nutrients in the starter to help the tired old yeasties out and gave the starter a swirl to throw the yeast into suspension once an hour for about 6 hours. Woke up this morning and there is about a quarter inch of yeast on the bottom of the starter. Is this enough for a five gallon batch or should I add another 16 oz of wort to step it up and then brew wtomorrow?

I think thats what I'll do... I'll probably just give it some fresh wort to work on today, keep giving it a swirl. I may just use a packet of notty to brew with today then keep stepping up this starter and throw it in the fridge until I'm ready to brew with it. This was sort of an experiment just to see if I could get it to work and I'd hoped I could use it but don't really want to chance having a sluggish fermentation.

Back