Question on gravity level

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perhizzle

Reaction score
Started our first batch ever a week ago, it was apple wine. We started with a gravity of 1.085 on the hydrometer. The only problem is within 4 days it was down to 1.0. Is that normal? According to the book I have it shouldn't happen nearly that fast.

What is the best thing to do at this point? Should I just rack it and let it age now? Is it possible to add sugar? Not sure what to do at this point. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Josh

4 days is very fast, but possible depending on yeast and temperature. Yes, I would rack it now (and maybe take a taste :))

Looking at some videos it looks like people use 1 package of yeast for up to 5 gallons. We only made just over a gallon but still used the whole package. Think that is the culprit? We followed a recipe pretty strictly. Once we rack it we are going to start another batch almost immediately. Probably going to do this Edwort's recipe I have read so much about. Thanks for the help!

Looking at some videos it looks like people use 1 package of yeast for up to 5 gallons. We only made just over a gallon but still used the whole package. Think that is the culprit? We followed a recipe pretty strictly. Once we rack it we are going to start another batch almost immediately. Probably going to do this Edwort's recipe I have read so much about. Thanks for the help!

You certainly had enough yeast, but that won't be a difference in a couple of weeks vs a few days. What yeast did you use, what is the temperature, and did you use any yeast nutrients?

For instance, a champagne yeast like EC-1118 at 70°F and with added nutrients could easily plow through 50 points of sugar in a few days.

In most cases, all of my lower OG wines are at 1.000 within five days. That's typical, at least for me.

It can be racked, topped up, and kept somewhere dark and in the low 60s for a while, and checked on in about a month. It's definitely too early to sweeten it.

Back