Question On Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snook32

Reaction score
Brewed an American Style Lager (5gal) Target OG was supposed to be 1055 came in at 1060. Transferred to 6.5 mini brew conical at 65F and pitched 2 packs of Wyeast american lager yeast, no activity in the first 48 hrs, dropped it down to 48F and saw activity the next day. It has been 9 days very little activity but the SG is now 1040. Trying to hit 1012- 1013 for final reading.
1. Do I use SG to tell when Primary is done?
2.How long could a primary take for a lager?
3.Any need for a secondary if so when?

You should not drop down a lager until primary ferment is done from what I understand. They say lagering is flying blind unless you do a test ferment where you ferment a sample to get the true final gravity. I'm doing my first lager right now and I am using a secondary. I lagered at 50Fish for 2 weeks but I had bad yeast so had to repitch at day 5ish then I took a gravity and was .007 above what I wanted for FG. About the same as you are. I went ahead and racked to a secondary and began slowly lowering temps about 2F / day.

I'm no lagering expert, but I'd let it lager for 4 to 5 weeks. Lager yeast apparently works very slowly.

1) yes
2) 1-3 weeks, (10-14 days on average)
3) not necessarily, but most rack it prior to lagering

you shouldnt have waited 2 days after pitching to drop to the proper temps, it really should be there prior to pitching. you likely stalled the yeast. id rouse the fermenter and raise it up a few degrees

Back