Question on Extract Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmerz

Reaction score
So, we've bottled our first batch of Northern Brewers American Amber Ale. We did a few things differently. We added a handful of cascade hops with about 10 minutes left in the boil, then after the first week of fermentation we dry hopped more cascade. After 8 days at room temperature in the bottles we decided to open a bottle that we didn't quite fill as much. As soon as I popped the flip top the beer cans flowing out like a champagne. It wasn't cold but we drank it. It was actually pretty good. We plan on letting the bottles sit for another week then place them in the fridge.

1. We ran out of bottles so we actually filled a growler, is that OK?

2. How long should we let the beer sit in bottles before it's "ready" to drink

3. Will all of these bottles over flow with foam or were we just too soon opening the first one?

Fyi- we used carbonating tablets in each bottle. The package suggested 3 for low 4 for med and 5 for high carbonation. We used 4 and then guessed at the growler (16).

Thanks!

Most growlers are not designed to hold the pressure developed by natural carbonation. Handle it with care and safety equipment. Ice it in something that can contain flying glass. Open this one soon.

So, we've bottled our first batch of Northern Brewers American Amber Ale. We did a few things differently. We added a handful of cascade hops with about 10 minutes left in the boil, then after the first week of fermentation we dry hopped more cascade. After 8 days at room temperature in the bottles we decided to open a bottle that we didn't quite fill as much. As soon as I popped the flip top the beer cans flowing out like a champagne. It wasn't cold but we drank it. It was actually pretty good. We plan on letting the bottles sit for another week then place them in the fridge.

1. We ran out of bottles so we actually filled a growler, is that OK?

2. How long should we let the beer sit in bottles before it's "ready" to drink

3. Will all of these bottles over flow with foam or were we just too soon opening the first one?

Fyi- we used carbonating tablets in each bottle. The package suggested 3 for low 4 for med and 5 for high carbonation. We used 4 and then guessed at the growler (16).

Thanks!

Crack open the lid of the growler to release some pressure as the carbonation builds. You may have to do this more than once to get the pressure level down to save the growler and you will end up with a "cask beer" with low carbonation. Chilling the growler will slow the carbonation to give you more time to release the pressure.

The general rule on bottles is to leave them for 3 weeks to carbonate and mature a bit. During this time the yeast will settle out to the bottom of the bottles so you can pour off the beer. Opening the bottles too soon will cause them to spill over as the suspended yeast cells are a point where the CO2 will escape and cause excessive bubbles.

Crack open the lid of the growler to release some pressure as the carbonation builds. You may have to do this more than once to get the pressure level down to save the growler and you will end up with a "cask beer" with low carbonation. Chilling the growler will slow the carbonation to give you more time to release the pressure.

The general rule on bottles is to leave them for 3 weeks to carbonate and mature a bit. During this time the yeast will settle out to the bottom of the bottles so you can pour off the beer. Opening the bottles too soon will cause them to spill over as the suspended yeast cells are a point where the CO2 will escape and cause excessive bubbles.

Thanks. Is it ok to place the bottles in the fridge after 2 weeks and let then sit there for another week?

Thanks. Is it ok to place the bottles in the fridge after 2 weeks and let then sit there for another week?

Probably. That should get them carbonated and the chilling will settle the yeast faster. The downside is that the chilling them will slow or stop the maturing of the flavors. You may like the taste of the amber after only 2 weeks at room temp but I'd leave at least a few of them out at room temp for a longer time. I suspect that the flavors will continue to improve for more than a month.

It's "ok", but as a post above recommended, letting it sit 3 weeks is better. The priming sugar starts another fermentation in the bottle, so it's good to let that fermentation run its course and it does that best at room temp, similar to your primary fermentation. After that, sticking it in the fridge for at least a week is recommended.

It's "ok", but as a post above recommended, letting it sit 3 weeks is better. The priming sugar starts another fermentation in the bottle, so it's good to let that fermentation run its course and it does that best at room temp, similar to your primary fermentation. After that, sticking it in the fridge for at least a week is recommended.

Ok I'll do it. I think the excitement of our first batch is killing us. Patience, maybe we'll start our first ipa next.

Thanks for the quick advice!

Probably. That should get them carbonated and the chilling will settle the yeast faster. The downside is that the chilling them will slow or stop the maturing of the flavors. You may like the taste of the amber after only 2 weeks at room temp but I'd leave at least a few of them out at room temp for a longer time. I suspect that the flavors will continue to improve for more than a month.

Ok I'll do it. I think the excitement of our first batch is killing us. Patience, maybe we'll start our first ipa next.

Thanks for the quick advice!

It's easier to wait for a batch to carbonate if you have another batch or 2 in fermenters. It gives you more to worry about.:ban::mug:

Back