Question on Control Panel Power Cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheBrewinator

Reaction score
Hello all,
I've been searching around and have't quite found a solid answer for my question. I am almost done building my electric system and am ready to get back to brewing after a 2+ year hiatus due to numerous factors. My setup is as follows:

Spa panel wired to a 4 prong dryer cord that plugs into a 4 prong dryer outlet hooked up to a 30A breaker. The spa panel has a NEMA L14-30R (http://www.grainger.com/product/LEVITON-Receptacle-1PKK4) to plug in my power cord.

I need about a 15 foot run of "extension cord" from my spa panel to my control panel which will be at my brew locations outside. The spa panel will be in the basement and the cord will be ran out the basement window. The panel is a simple single PID, single element (5500W ULWD) control box with a chugger pump.

All of the 10/4 SJEOOW I am finding is rated for 25 amps instead of 30 amps. Will I be okay making a 15 foot or so extension cord with 10/4 SJEOOW or should I go with 8/4 SOOW to be on the safe side?

Thanks.

A 5500w element at full 240v draws just under 23a. If your actual voltage is less, it will draw less. Depending upon what else you have running on that circuit, you are likely fine with the 10/4 cord. I suspect that there are many 30a builds out there that use it.

I'd recommend searching ebay, just do a 10/4 30A cord search. I was able to get 50' of 10/3 30A for about $80 shipped off a bulk retailer

I really don't want to buy 50 feet of cord that I only need 15 feet of. I guess what I don't get is how coleman cable can have the same 10/4 and in a 50 foot roll from home depot its rated at 30A and the 25 foot roll is rated at 25A when it looks like the exact same cord.

I really don't want to buy 50 feet of cord that I only need 15 feet of. I guess what I don't get is how coleman cable can have the same 10/4 and in a 50 foot roll from home depot its rated at 30A and the 25 foot roll is rated at 25A when it looks like the exact same cord.

Check out any RV Service centers, the service cables get replaced all time and they usually have all the highly shielded harsh environment cable you'd need just lying around for copper scrap. My electric brewery uses a RV cable and connectors by design. Will be coming with me to several beer club camping outings this summer. Have RV power service, will brew. You can put any end on the cords you want, these bad boys are about 3/4" diameter.

You're fine with the 25' 10/4 cord from the Depot.

The ampacity table implies that the cable be 'derated' when all 3 conductors are used. Like two 120V/30A circuits sharing the neutral or a three phase circuit.

In most brew panels, there is minimal current draw on the neutral.

Can't help you with Colemans discription difference.

Latest posts

Back