question on brewing Nut Brown Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDSanders

Reaction score
I got the True Brew Nut Brown Ale kit and am planning on a brew day this friday. The directions are not great. My questions are as follows:

1. As per the instructions it says to do a partial boil with 1.5 gallons of water and top up with cold water in fermenter. 1.5 gallons seems like to little water for the boil.

2. When do I add the brown sugar? The instructions say to add it along with the malt. Is this the proper time to add it?

3. The directions say to add the hops the last 2 minutes of the boil. Is that the best time to add the hops?

This is only my second brew so I am still very unsure of what will turn out best. I am already a pretty high strung person who over thinks everything. The beer helps though.

This is one of those pre-hopped kits, so 1.5 gallons of water to boil and hops at the last 2 minutes are normal. The brown sugar should be added the same time as the malt.

Back