Question on adding yeast at bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I plan on bottling a barleywine that I have bulk aged for the last 16 months. The OG was 1.080 and FG is 1.010.

I have a vial of White Labs 001 that I am thinking of adding either a day before bottling or day of when I add the priming sugar.

Looking for some advice or opinions if adding the yeast is necessary, and if so adding it a day prior would be better vs. day of. My thought on that, would be adding a day prior may allow the yeast to incorporate itself better.

Thanks in advance for your responses.

I wouldn't waste good liquid yeast, the yeast will have almost no flavor impact, so I would add a dry yeast that attenuates less than the origina, you'll be fine.

I add yeast on most of my big / aged beers, they have all carb'd up very well.

I'm going to be doing the same thing soon. How much dry yeast do you add to a 5g batch? I'm thinking a whole pack would be to much. Also I used 2 packs of US-05 for fermenting. I have a pack of nottingham that's been in the fridge for 18 months and was wondering if I should use that or get new. Its a 12.5% ABV BW

Back